Surfriding ScottS wide bond rail, -2, lowered tray SJ mods

ScottS

X
Site Supporter
Blue Ski 025.jpgBlue Ski 091.jpgBlue Ski 087.jpgBlue Ski 086.jpgBlue Ski 080.jpgBlue Ski 033.jpgBlue Ski 031.jpgBlue Ski 030.jpgBlue Ski 027.jpgBlue Ski 090.jpg

I laid multiple layers of biax cloth from the inside. After it cured, I ground the outside and laid a couple more layers of twill cloth on the outside. Sanded, primed and cut the exhaust hole.

ScottS

X
Site Supporter
Blue Ski 103.jpgBlue Ski 099.jpgBlue Ski 100.jpgBlue Ski 105.jpgBlue Ski 108.jpgBlue Ski 092.jpg

I finally got around to stripping the old turf from the sides of the tray. I re-drilled the hole lower where the exhaust goes through the bulkhead, this allowed me to lower the tray.

Because every ski seems to leak into the hull under the tray, I cut holes for drain plugs. To give a path for the water to drain below the new foam, I split a 1/2" piece of CPVC pipe, drilled holes in it and glued it to the bottom of each side.

I had to relocate the incerts forward that mounts the ride plate. I drilled the holes in the hull to match the center holes of a square nose ride plate. I epoxed them in and glassed over them with cloth.

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
so the cpvc tubes with holes in it is like a french drain? allowing water to seep in and the drain out the drain tubes?????? trying to figure this out?

ScottS

X
Site Supporter
Blue Ski 116.jpgBlue Ski 115.jpgBlue Ski 117.jpgBlue Ski 120.jpgBlue Ski 122.jpgBlue Ski 123.jpg

I sealed all of the tubing with 5200 and cut polystyrene to fill all the spaces. I like the polystyrene because you can fit in so tight it will give the sides and tray support.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I think this may be the next mod on the 650SX, with a few revisions of my own of course, I have been studying the Matrix vid and want to do it more like the Matrix is done, wider , flatter and tapering off toward the back

Last edited:

Its all about the surf!
Scott, I've been toying with the rail extension idea also. You beat me too it! Although my idea was mainly to widen the bond rail only on the front section of the ski around the Tubbie sponsons, keeping the rear of the ski narrow for good manuverability. You're good reviews are encouraging. I finally picked up a roundy hull to experiment on so I can do some experimenting on my own. Subscribed! Thanks for the writeup!

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
The rear is important, too - especially for turning. Take a look at any Rickter hull or a Superfreak. The vertical part of the rear dips down pretty far (more than at any other spot of the rail) and acts like a cornering sponson.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Scott, I've been toying with the rail extension idea also. You beat me too it! Although my idea was mainly to widen the bond rail only on the front section of the ski around the Tubbie sponsons, keeping the rear of the ski narrow for good manuverability. You're good reviews are encouraging. I finally picked up a roundy hull to experiment on so I can do some experimenting on my own. Subscribed! Thanks for the writeup!
Exactly how mine is done, the destroyers shield the rail a bit, that was my inspiration.

I rode this ski in the surf a couple of times.
1. It turns like a much shorter ski
2/ It does not pearl near as much as a stock superjet when dropping steep down the wave face almost as it has rocker added.
3 It feels much wider then it really is
Overall it is a fun ski to ride. Much improved over what it was.

ScottS

X
Site Supporter

John, Tanner Moon tells me that your front sponson mod is the best there is. He loved your ski. My next mod when I have some time, will be to widen my tubbies up toward the front. I would like to know what you found, how about a write on your sponsons.

ScottS

X
Site Supporter
Blue Ski 124.jpgBlue Ski 125.jpgBlue Ski 126.jpgBlue Ski 127.jpgBlue Ski 128.jpg

Once the polystyrene foam was fitted in as tight as I could make it, I started grinding it lower and level. I was afraid to lower the tray too much because I didn't want the transition to the the pump housing to be too much. I removed the original deck off the pump and ground the pump as low and round as possible, I even went through in one spot.

I ground the polystyrene about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" lower than the top of the pump housing. The pump housing had raised corners where the threaded incerts were. I removed all of the old foam around them, then glassed over the top down to the lower area where I cut the original tray floor to fit the lower area.

I laid I think four, maybe five layers of 1208 biax around the entire tray and up the sides about four inches.

ScottS

X
Site Supporter
Blue Ski 132.jpgBlue Ski 133.jpgBlue Ski 134.jpgBlue Ski 136.jpgBlue Ski 137.jpgBlue Ski 138.jpgBlue Ski 139.jpgBlue Ski 140.jpg

After ther tray cured, I glued more polystyrene around the highs and lows of the pump housing, sanded down to make smooth transitions of the highs and lows so there is no hard step under your feet. Then glassed over it.

I had widen the tray foot holds years ago and had added a front left forward hold as I'm a left foot forward rider. I decided to add a foot hold all the way across. I glued two pieces of one inch polystyrene together, fitted it tight and glued it in place. I sanded it into shape and glassed over it.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Looks awesome! Nice work too. I used extruded polystyrene in the bottom and 4 lb. 2 part foam over the top to shape in lowered footholds and am very happy with everything. It drains very nice after a weekend of riding. Might try the rail widening this winter, but I love the way it rides now. Keep up the good work and enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom