Freestyle Solas SS 'Mag' Nonsetback 144mm pump REVIEW

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Solas 144mm 'Mag' pump Review

This new pump from Solas has understandably created alot of interest. For the first time there is a Big Hub 12v 144mm 'mag' pump for superjets that is much less expensive than the available alternatives from Skat Trak and Maxx. At approximately 500., it is less expensive than used mag pumps from skat and only about 150. more than the TBM big hub pump cone (or R&D, Blowsion), which was the previous low dough big hub option.

When I first saw this pump being sold earlier this year overseas, i knew that it would probably be the most popular new product when available here. I immediately started to research about this pump and Carl from Cold Fusion was the first that I knew to get one in the U.S. and try it out. Carl is no stranger to mag pumps and obviously he knows alot about product design, etc. and so he was perfect person to get more info from about this pump. He was very impressed with the quality and performance of this new pump. As he explained to me, the Solas pump is completely made of stainless steel and is an 'investment grade' casting. This is a high quality casting, unlike the sand casting most of us are familiar with (think rideplate or stock pump). Once the mold for the casting is perfected, then each pump is more or less identical and will perform the same.

At World Finals, Solas had this pump on display and I was able to see one in for the first time. I ordered them right away. When you hold this pump and look it over, you immediately notice several things. First is it main disadvantage, it is heavy, being made of solid stainless steel. The oem yamaha pump stator vane section is cast aluminum and weighs 3 lbs. The Skat 144mm mag pumps are made by boring out the oem pump and inserting a new SS vane section with a billet aluminum hub and weigh about 4lbs. 12oz. The Solas pump weighs 8lbs. 10oz.

Next you will notice the quality of the casting and machining, this is a high quality product. The only roughness noted is near the center of the vanes where the molds probably overlap. I do not think this is any issue at all and could easily be sanded down but not necessary.

The reduction nozzle will fit right in place just like on a stock pump, but there is a gap when viewed from the inside. Carl just siliconed this up without issue, so if it is good enough for him, most will be fine with this approach. Brian at Thrust had some aluminum rings made to close the gap and that will work also. Impros made SS spacers that achieve the same result as well. JetManiac has either orings or spacers as well.

These pumps are designed to use big hubbed impellers just like other 'mag' pumps so impellers from solas, skat, and hooker will all work. Your stock wear rings, driveshafts, and nozzles are all compatible with this pump.

I will be building the pump shortly and will post pics, etc. afterwards.

In conclusion, this is a quality pump that will be the value choice for many. The lighter skat pump will still be the choice for others who want a setback pump and/or a lighter pump especially for flatwater use.

Edit: added some more pics of oem pump stator, solas, and skat trak setback for comparison

011.jpg012.jpg007.jpg009.jpg

Edit: Finally got to build the solas pump. Assembly was very straightforward with no issues, it was just like building a stock pump. The only odd thing noted is the pump cone. It is larger in diameter than the pump by approximately 1mm. It could easily by modded to match perfectly, but strange that solas didn't notice or fix. I doubt that it is significant issue to flow.

020.jpg023.jpg018.jpg

The provided pump cone is a little longer than the standard medium pump cone on the skat pumps. Skat offers 3 sizes of pump cones for tuning. I dont know if solas will offer different sized cones or if the octane pump cones will work.

Edit: Impros is now making a custom shorty cone for solas pumps, which we are stocking as well.
004.jpg 014.jpg013.jpg

Update on solas pumps:

As mentioned above, different impellers will require different amounts of spacing to install properly. We have been using oem prop spacers (2mm) for some and custom ordered 3mm spacers for others.

The biggest installation issue that has been found so far:
http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/...mp-help-PLEASE

The issue is with the spacing of the bearing hub relative to the pump body. The solas pump has the center hub a little forward (about 5mm as measured by carl at cold fusion) as compared to the oem pump stator.

This makes the same oem driveshaft effectively longer when mounted in the solas pump. It doesnt seem to be an issue in oem hulls since the spline underlap is large enough to accomodate the difference, but many/most a/m hulls seem to be designed to increase spline overlap as compared to oem hulls so many guys have had issues installing in solas pumps in a/m hulls.

You can often fix the issue with a combination of moving midshaft housing forward with a Cold Fusion spacer, removing thrust washer behind coupler, and moving midshaft farther forward relative the housing. We are also building custom length shorter driveshafts for solas pumps to fix this issue altogether.

In spite of this issue, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive on the quality and performance of these cost effective pumps.

Last edited:

raytherace

Canadian Brapp Dealer
Is there a real advantage of the set-back pump compare to non SB ??? And the vanes are not the same design as skat or maxx pump, they start where the impeller finish and stop in the middle of the stator section, compare to oem who start at the same spot and finish where the pump cone start, what is the advantage Chris??

Great stuff!

Sounds like where horsepower/budget outweigh double (even more when considering stock) weight then this is a no brainer.

I'll be sticking with stock once again though :( it seems....

Last edited:
I think the weight located so low on the ski isn't such an issue . it will improve hook up and stability for most of the people .
Plus full stainless will last forever on salt water.
my 2 cents

freestyle community can buy a titanium pump if weight is a problem :naughty:

I've got one of these From Thrust Innovation as one of the buyers of the first wave. I've read and heard word that a spacer would be needed to run the IMPROS Hooker impellers. Since so many of us run those I would like to know what spacer is needed? I think someone said stock plus 2mm? Not sure but that would probably be a great thing to experiment with and probably sell. When/if you ever get those let me know, I'm in for one.

Thanks for the detailed write up Chris!

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Is there a real advantage of the set-back pump compare to non SB ??? And the vanes are not the same design as skat or maxx pump, they start where the impeller finish and stop in the middle of the stator section, compare to oem who start at the same spot and finish where the pump cone start, what is the advantage Chris??
The Solas vanes are the same (similiar) design as the skat or maxx. The oem pump has 6 full width vanes that are as long as the pump section. Mag pumps usually use shorter, thinner vanes and 12 of them.

If the pump is nonsetback the vanes run from the front of the pump just behind the impeller to about half the depth of the housing. The design of the solas nonsetback is very similiar to the skat nonsetback in this regard. There is an empty section in the rear of the pump between the rear of the vanes and the vanes in the reduction nozzle.

If the pump is setback then the whole vane section and hub is 'setback' to the rear of the housing. The impeller is moved back partially inside the wear ring added inside the pump housing. In this case the rear of the pump vanes lead directly to the reduction nozzle vanes. The impeller is only partially in the wear ring and there is more room for extra water in the front of the pump.

I've got one of these From Thrust Innovation as one of the buyers of the first wave. I've read and heard word that a spacer would be needed to run the IMPROS Hooker impellers. Since so many of us run those I would like to know what spacer is needed? I think someone said stock plus 2mm? Not sure but that would probably be a great thing to experiment with and probably sell. When/if you ever get those let me know, I'm in for one.

Thanks for the detailed write up Chris!

Spacers are just prop washers. Try spinning your impeller on, if it clears the vanes, you are good. If it needs space, you can take an oem prop washer to move impeller forward to clear the vanes.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Here's some pics for comparison. 144 Skat 12 vane setback and 140 8 vane nonset back in first pic, Skat 12 vane setback in second pic, and Skat 12 vane setback sitting beside an oem pump in the third pic.

aefcbc2f-be33-c111.jpg
aefcbc2f-be5a-952f.jpg
aefcbc2f-bed0-cde7.jpg

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

144 Skat 12 vane setback on the left, 140 Skat 8 vane nonsetback on the right. Random pics I happened to have on my phone, posted purely as a visual aid to supplement the skat to the solas vane design conversation.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I was seriously trying to figure out what ski came with an OEM pump that had a big hub and 8 vanes. Sorry.
I was genuinely confused, not trying to be an ass.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

I was seriously trying to figure out what ski came with an OEM pump that had a big hub and 8 vanes. Sorry.
I was genuinely confused, not trying to be an ass.

It's all good, my response was typed with mock sarcasm anyways. :bigok:

I even noticed the big hub when I posted it but didn't clue in till you mentiond it and even then had to count vanes before it registered. Maybe I should delete some pics off my phone. :biggrin:

Thanks Chris, I am out of the state, but I will post my results when I get back home and try to put it on. Should be about a week and a half. BTW the hottie pic is coming soon!

Top Bottom