Super Jet Solas Mag Pump Ate My Bearings- How About You?

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
Less than 15 hours on new seals and bearings in a Solas mag.
Bearings in bad shape, grinding, leaking rusty water.
beat up my hooker pretty badly and took out my midshaft.
Anyone else having this problem?
thanks!

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
You're not the first person with that problem. I know of one other personally and I'm pretty sure I've read about it happening on here recently

I've done 2 Solas pumps so far. One for myself which is doing fine after 5 tanks of gas. One for a friend, which took a dump - noisy bearings- after a short while. That is particularly embarrassing to me since I have 50 years of experience pressing in bearings.
I can only assume that the ss housing of the pump is a bit on the tight side compromising the clearance between inner and outer race of the bearing after installation. Unfortunately I don't have a ready answer how to solve this issue. I had used bearings "C3" spec which have somewhat greater internal clearance (good for cold start-up) I suppose C4 bearings are available, but proper machining to begin with should be easier.

Last edited:

Christian_83

Xscream
Yeah one of our guys also smashed 2 sets of bearings we got, the set that followed the pump and another set i bought on here.
Wich bearings were you guys using? my friend Soren, bought some bearings, maybe SKF and they have run nice ever since.
My own pump, another friends solas and i think Stefan on here is running fine with the "stock" bearings we got with the pump.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
Mine were not the bearings supplied with pump
they were "quality Japanese" bearings
Bump for enyone running a Solas mag WITHOUT issues

Jetmaniac built my pump for me, I'd say I have 100 hours on it so far. Pulled it out earlier this season and it seemed smooth still...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Less than 15 hours on new seals and bearings in a Solas mag.
Bearings in bad shape, grinding, leaking rusty water.
beat up my hooker pretty badly and took out my midshaft.
Anyone else having this problem?
thanks!

Make sure to install the front bearing with a mandrel and press, you cant push them in with the shaft. Also use a C3 bearing.

running on 2 season now and it's the old bearing from my oem pump,had a local shop remove/press my old bearing ..and i haven't had to use my backup yet from jetmaniac...knock on wood this will not happen to me...

Last edited:

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
well good to hear some people have success
will have pump shop rebuild it and see how it goes

Dirtybird

Ex*ta*ski
My first set went after 10 min of riding.
First Bearing in was all chewed up and the 20 ton press wouldn't budge it! No lie the shaft would start to bend before bearing moved.
Had to cut it off and still hammer it after the cut.
Second set no problems yet, about 7 rides.

Top Bottom