My budget freestyle build

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
My budget freestyle build (updated)

This is the project I have been working on this winter. I bought this squarenose at the begining of last summer.After the season was over I decided to tear into it. Im having to be a little conservative because we are trying to save up for my wife a new ski. Im staying with a 6m6 for now but building a motor over the summer. Here is what its going to have.
  • protec ported 6m6 with 701 bore
  • 175 psi shaved stock head
  • boysen dual stage reeds
  • coffmans sizzler pipe
  • solas impeller ? pitch
  • wetwolf freestyle cone
  • msd enhancer
  • oceanpro open ocean ride plate
  • Riva triloader intake
  • Umi steering 4deg bars
  • wamiltons cyclone footholds
  • Reinforcing hull
  • hood mod
  • diamond hydroturf
  • turfing the rails
I have been ordering all my parts and finally have everything but some little odds and ends. Ill post some pics as soon as I can figure out how to do it and it not side scroll

Attachments

• Image065.jpg
    Image065.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Image077.jpg
    Image077.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Image078.jpg
    Image078.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Image079.jpg
    Image079.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Image064.jpg
    Image064.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
Heres some more.:cool2:

Attachments

• Image141.jpg
    Image141.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Image143.jpg
    Image143.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Image145.jpg
    Image145.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Image146.jpg
    Image146.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 205
  • Image147.jpg
    Image147.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 179

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
more!!!

Attachments

• Image156.jpg
    Image156.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Image155.jpg
    Image155.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Image151.jpg
    Image151.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Image148.jpg
    Image148.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Image153.jpg
    Image153.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 166

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
Heres the last ones I have so far. I should be done with footholds tonight. Im going to start The reinforcement tomorrow.Its been a long process but as long as I get it done before Lanier. That shouldnt be a problem, now I just have to get it back together. Ill keep posting pics as I make progress.

Attachments

• Image159.jpg
    Image159.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Image161.jpg
    Image161.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Image162.jpg
    Image162.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 305
  • Image163.jpg
    Image163.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Image164.jpg
    Image164.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 191

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
Yeah I had planned on it but, I talked myself out of it. Just to much on my plate right now. Im doing another motor swap and going to paint it next winter so I will definetly refoam then. It really wasnt bad anyway

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
Just finished Glassing over the holds and reinforcing between on the tray. Just have to sand every thing out and They will be done.Starting the reinforcement tomorrow.Ive already ground out the ribs.should I use foam in the bondline or epoxy with filler?

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
Finished holds and starting reinforcement.

So I finished up my holds, poured the foam and started the reinforcement.I'm going to do 1 layer of 12oz biax on the sides and bottom.I am also going to reinforce under the hood lip and pole area. Im still wondering if I should do the nose. I dont ride surf much and ride mostly at Allatoona and Lanier in ga. I dont have that much concern about burying the nose.I guess I should since I will already be doing it. Im also adding a layer of 5.5 0z carbon on the sides for a little bling and some more strength.

Attachments

• Image167.jpg
    Image167.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Image172.jpg
    Image172.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Image171.jpg
    Image171.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Image170.jpg
    Image170.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Image169.jpg
    Image169.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 244

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
O.K. Just ordered 5.7 oz plain weave carbon today should be here by friday.My question is should I try to lay the fiberglass and the carbon on the side at one time or should I lay up the glass sand then lay the carbon over it? This will be my first time messing with carbon but It ought to turn out cool. I hope.

Y

yamaslut

jetskiking said:
O.K. Just ordered 5.7 oz plain weave carbon today should be here by friday.My question is should I try to lay the fiberglass and the carbon on the side at one time or should I lay up the glass sand then lay the carbon over it? This will be my first time messing with carbon but It ought to turn out cool. I hope.

together....

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Listen to Slut...when glassing anything, it doesn't matter whether you use glass, carbon, kevlar, or waxpaper :biggrin: ...lay it up all at one time. You do not want layers to cure in between.

If you do one layup, it all cures together. That's what you want.

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
Thanks I figured I should but wasnt sure about combining the carbon and glass.What about the ribs on top under the pole area. Should I grind those out or just lay over them since its not really visible? I've already ground all the others but left those because I wasnt sure.

Y

yamaslut

jetskiking said:
Thanks I figured I should but wasnt sure about combining the carbon and glass.What about the ribs on top under the pole area. Should I grind those out or just lay over them since its not really visible? I've already ground all the others but left those because I wasnt sure.

if you can get the carbon to lay over them w/o open air pockets, do it

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
O.K. so since Im waiting on my carbon, hopefully will be here tomorrow.I decide to start putting the motor together. I swapped my stock 6m6 and a little cash for this protec bigbore 6m6.my buddy ran this motor in his superjet last year.Anyway I have to swap some parts from my old one.Man when I got the motors side by side WOW what a difference.The ports are much larger!!!And the coolest thing is they opened it up sideways but didnt raise the port timing. Huh? I thought this thing had race porting.But Im glad they didnt!! I cant wait to see the difference over stock with my pipe. Im running sbn 44 , boysen reeds, coffmans sizzler pipe ,701 ignition maybe an msd.bored to a 701 81mm,and a 170psi head. Im building a real 701 over the summer but this should work for now and plus I can go ahead and put the ada head on when I buy it for my motor build.I am trying to concentrate on the hull mods now. Hopefully this thing will be together in a few weaks and its back to riding.:woot:

Attachments

• Image179.jpg
    Image179.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 376

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
Well since My carbon didnt come in I did some other projects this weekend.I went ehead and foamed the bond line, primed my pole and polished up a nasty set of bars. My carbon will be deliverd today:woot: tonight I will go ahead and make up some templates and cut everything so I can lay it up tomorrow.

Attachments

• Image184.jpg
    Image184.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Image185.jpg
    Image185.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Image186.jpg
    Image186.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 161
Top Bottom