anyone into fixed gear bikes?

ger87410

How did I get here?
I just remember having to ride one as a kid until I upgraded to a 'big boy's' bike.

I hated the single speed cuz it was too slow, but when I got a multi speed I always kept it in it's highest gear.

Vigorous biking everyday for a half hour each day is guaranteed to get all the fat of your legs. :wink:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Single speed bikes are more suited for velodrome racing where there's little wind speed change.

I'd keep it a 10-speed bike for the wife because if you chose the wrong gear ratio, she'll be walking.

wydopen

onthepipe
a fixed gear is different from a single speed...a fixed gear has no freewheel so you cant stop pedaling and they dont have brakes..mostly hipster freaks ride them that wear tight black jeans and vneck white shirts with bowlers caps...at least around here

when you say single speed I think of a guy here who rides this path we ride and he does the whole damn thing in one gear... This path is not a simple trip either, it's 6.5 miles w/ tons of elevation changes and lots of sugar sand. I can do it in 3 gears now, but that has taken a while. He does it in under 40 min, like mid 30's usually. I have done it in 46min and I almost died... I can't make it up all the inclines either. 99.9999 can't... this :):):):)er just rips through em like nothing and he'll do it twice...

:261:

brett

-------------
a fixed gear is different from a single speed...a fixed gear has no freewheel so you cant stop pedaling and they dont have brakes..mostly hipster freaks ride them that wear tight black jeans and vneck white shirts with bowlers caps...at least around here

yup..its a trend for weirdos

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member

yeah like that but take it up one more notch. a converted 10 speed is a POS and if you don't ride a "real" track bike you might as well perform self murder. I want to stomp on those pretentious snobs.

what ever, if she wants to road ride with no freewheel it's a converted 10 speed. I can't afford a hand made one off bike for 2k+.

romack991

homebrewed
If you lived in Indiana, I'd have about 20 for ya.

My uncle has a bike shop and bought a bunch in an auction and stored them in my dad's field. Never came back and got them.

Last edited:

romack991

homebrewed
I liked the idea of single speeds if you don't have extreme terrain changes. I thought about getting one last yr when I was in shape and rode my single track a lot. They give some more ground clearance and less hassle with chain coming of or bending derailers. But now I'm out of shape and need an extra few gears.

I liked the idea of single speeds if you don't have extreme terrain changes. I thought about getting one last yr when I was in shape and rode my single track a lot. They give some more ground clearance and less hassle with chain coming of or bending derailers. But now I'm out of shape and need an extra few gears.

yup!!!!

Top Bottom