Other Decisions decisions...

Waternut

Customizing addict
So I've had my bike for quite a long time now. It's a 1995 Cannondale Super V with carbon fiber swingarm. It's still fairly competitive in weight for a full suspension bike at 29lbs on an XL frame (21" roughly). I absolutely love the bike and can mostly keep up or exceed all of my friends in riding speed and have a huge smile when I blow by people on $3K-$4k bikes in the real technical sections. On another plus, I enjoy meeting random people on the trail who talk about how they dreamed and drooled about my bike years ago.

However, despite the desirable aspects of my bike, I'm beginning to think it might be time for an upgrade. The front suspension has a whopping non-adjustable 50mm (2") of travel and the rear has 75mm (3")...lol. Walmart bikes have components and shocks that are starting to exceed my "top of the line" bike now. I wouldn't sell this bike just because it was my dream bike when it came out though.

Do you guys think it's worth an upgrade or should I keep rockin' this bike until something breaks that I can't replace? If I keep it, I will probably swap the fork for one with a little more travel...

Attachments

• JFW_0015.jpg
    JFW_0015.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 54
I dont ride mountain bikes much or know a whole lot about the new deal or whats cool currently. I will say that in the all of the other extreme sports that we choose to do that things move fast and 95 was a very very long time ago.

Think about that bike as a stock sn sj. Time to step up your game and go big while you still can. I see your stunt hull and I am sure that ski has helped you take your stuff to the next level.

I vote to go get the sickest bike you can afford. $.02

Nut,

Just like anything, time changes what top of the line is and technology makes great advances in 15 plus years.

My suggestion, check out craigslist or ebay. With 29ers being all the rage now, you can find pretty fantastic deals on nearly new 26ers.

Scottie

I had a carbon Raven and the frame cracked. I bought a cheapie KHS complete bike for $450 from Jensen USA just to keep riding while Cannondale processed my warrantee claim (which they did). It pissed me off how much better the KHS was for under $500 than my $3000 Cannondale was. Tech and design moved fast in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Replaced the Cannondale with an Ellsworth and haven't wanted anything since.

Last edited:

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Time to upgrade. Im planning to do the snake this winter and you need something a little more all mountain if you are doing it with me. You are doing it with me btw.

Aquaholic

World's Oldest Teenager
Don't put ANY money into that thing. Off it. That Cannondale, compared to a modern bike, is like comparing a pimped out aftermarket hull to a 1973 JS400.

Attachments

• DSCN0438.jpg
    DSCN0438.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Putting a Fox fork on that thing would be like putting a evening gown on a pig .......... It's time Nut . I'm a santa cruz fan , but there are soooo many options . Might look in to a 29er if I were you . FYI , I think the Smithsonian Institute is looking for one to put on display . ATL crags list has several superlites simple cheap reliable single pivot cross country bikes .

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Time to upgrade. Im planning to do the snake this winter and you need something a little more all mountain if you are doing it with me. You are doing it with me btw.

When are we going? I'll take my current bike if necessary. I just went to Oak Mountain in Alabama and did a super technical section in the dark with lights...lol. I'm ready!

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Google the snake nwgasorba.org

Can't figure out how to post links with my phone

It is three races in one. One race per month for three months. Grog says it is awesome ride and good time with bonfires and great homemade chili included in race fees.

When are we going? I'll take my current bike if necessary. I just went to Oak Mountain in Alabama and did a super technical section in the dark with lights...lol. I'm ready!

Sounds like somebody has the MTB bug. Oak Mt is fun ..... remember that's where I cracked my ribs last year.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I've always had the MTB bug... It's just been dormant for years because I didn't know many people who were interested in it. Jetski projects are quickly taking a backseat to a lot of other things. lol

Top Bottom