Electrical question- can only hit start button once

ItsRixter

SoCal Wav Jumping shiznit
Heys guys, I try to start my ski and after the first press of the start button it wont crank again unless I disconnect the battery each time. Anyone have an issue like this. Its for my couch ski (97 GP1200) but thought I'd ask here.

Sounds like a weird one. My guess would be some sort of grounding issue. I would pull out my multi-meter and unhook the starter. Test voltage on the out end of the starter button when pressed the first time, press again and see if you get same voltage out or if there is no voltage, if you have a large difference reset your battery then test again to try and get the same result. I have a 97 GP1200 and never had this issue so far. It's a fun couch as far as couches go.

Most likely cluster causing issue. Disconnect cluster plugs that go between start/stop switch and harness that runs to back off hull. Plug start/stop directly to harness

A friend of mine had a GP1200 a few years ago. I remember it having the same issue and figuring this out. It bypasses the security feature.

ItsRixter

SoCal Wav Jumping shiznit
That what it was. Security through the instrument cluster.

When the battery is changed or disconnected security code kicks in.

If you know the lock code: Press the MODE button when hitting the start button and enter security lock code

If you dont know the code: Remove storage bin and/or seat and locate the single blue wire connector and disconnect it. Hold down mode until it prompts you for a new code. Enter a new 4 digit code. Reconnect the blue wire connector.

Top Bottom