JSS not a fan

image.jpg I sent a stator and coil to JSS (jet ski solutions). I wanted reliable electronics for my first trip to Daytona. I am extremely disappointed. The wire length were wrong on the stator(would not make it to Ebox and wire in ebox where 9 inch physically would not fit). And connector was on backward. Coil was redone with an autozone quality wire(not a marine grade product, not tinned). So I had to fix my stator I payed them to fix. And 5 hours into riding my coil was arcing to everything but the spark plugs. I have a week of trying to contact them via email and phone. No response. I orginally didn't want to bad mouth a seller. But now I want to see him at a ride, lift his hood and cut his coil wires. If you are hoping to ride in the surf I would beware of JSS quality and customer service.

image.jpg
I have never heard a bad thing about JSS, John is a good guy and has always gave me a great product from the start. Let us know the results.
That is why I went with JSS. He was recommended by many(including another vender I had a perfect transaction with). I am self employed, have made my fair share of mistakes. But I always call back, acknowledge the mistake and remedy the problem. I am just being ignored.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
View attachment 297866He was recommended by many(including another vender I had a perfect transaction with).

I think it was me that recommended you use JSS for his stator work. I'm sorry you had the experience you did but I am sure he will make it right and I still stand by my recommendation. He's a bit quirky to deal with at times but his work is second to none, especially when it comes to stators. We are all human so things are going to happen from time to time.

As for the coil wires arcing, it looks like there was a failure in the insulation and it was punching through where the burn mark appears. That could be caused by even a tiny puncture that could have happened anywhere from source of manufacture to delivery and unfortunately is very hard defect to detect beforehand. Once in a ski with 20,000+ volts applied, all bets are off. Unfortunate that it ruined such an epic weekend but it should be a simple warranty exchange.

Be thankful it had the burn mark to make the failure point obvious. I warrantied a set of my cables at Daytona because they were arcing along the length and the replacement set did the exact same thing and really had us scratching our heads. My best guess was that it was tracing down the plug itself and jumping to the salt water on the wire sheath but either way, it wasn't a fun trip for the owner.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Spraying the cables with WD40 before exposing them to salt water helps tremendously. Msd 8.5 wire also helps sometimes.

I recommend WD-40 or a silicone spray as well. I haven't been doing it to date but after discussing the issue at Daytona, I figured it was time to just start giving them a healthy dose before I ship them out.

Right after dinosaurs became extinct and just before the (lame then) Superjets came out, we had Kaw 650 skis. They all had the strange habit of sort of sputtering/ misfiring - with oem ign- after about 15 minutes jumping waves (that's what people did back then). Found an easy fix: spray a lot of WD40 onto the ignition box/coil assy. where the ign. wires come out, and no more problems.

Last edited:
Is a coil wire supposed to be tinned? I did not start this thread in order to bash JSS. OCD did recommend I send my coil along with the stator. Not the vendor I spoke of in earlier post. I have seen Ocd work prior to daytona and that was why my orginal intent was to send it to him. But I have not done business with yet. The coil didnot ruin the trip. Just put earlier end than planned I made till Sunday noon time. I understand it was case of salt and electronics. The wires where installed properly. The sections of wire used on this coil arced through the insulation in numerous locations. None of which where with an inch of metal.

Scorn800

Ride for life
I'm not a fan of John at JSS. He did a stator for me 10+ years go. Long story short when I had problems he tried to just blow me off. I also know of atleast 2 people who have had problems with his Kawasaki coils. Better off using a OEM coil and electrical parts on a Kawasaki.

John at JSS is a below average electrician at best. he attempted to build a entire ebox for my ski. and it wouldn't fire!!! contacted him, he told me my stator was bad then i bought a new stator and sent everything back to him. and still wouldn't fire. then he tells me my coil was bad. i bought new coil. then i traced every wire he pinned. long story short he mispinned my stator wires twice which are licoriceing color coded and one of his crimps was broken. spent over $1,000.00 in parts for no reason, he said next time he can PROBABLY help me with price. PM me for more details. my bottom line "JSS CAN licorice THEMSELVES"

Wow this is crazy. Not disagreeing with anyone here but I have had 3 ebox/stator re-wires from JSS. Granted I do not ride in salt and probably don't really beat my skis up very much compared to how hard some of you guys ride your skis. Never had an issue either with my Kawi or two yami's. I would be interested in seeing how this turns out to see if I send other parts that way. Keep us updated. Sorry about the wrecked weekend.

Has anyone noticed that the more expensive Yamaha coil wires are tinned and the Kawi ' s are not. I once saw a brand new Kawi coil spudder in a Lake and then a used Yamaha coil corrected the problem on a TS2 ignition. I've never had a problem running a Kawi coil in salt but I silicone spray everything down pretty well. They cost less so I buy them but Yamaha seems to use tinned wire as a better choice.

image.jpg image.jpg I am putting the coil in the mail tomorrow I may owed John at JSS an apology. I put the ski and freshwater today and have the identical problems. Talked with Taylor the manufacture of the wire he uses and a few other people more knowledgeable than myself. The Taylor wire is a very high quality wire I would choose a tinned wire. but John is using a high-quality wire. It not being tinned has nothing to do with this problem. I will let you know John's response. But my conclusion right now is 6 feet of poopty quality wire came off of a spool he purchased from Taylor and that was my problem. Not the fault of JSS. I have had to replace defective building products before.

Top Bottom