Midshaft Talk - Building, Rebuilding, SN vs. RN, etc.

I have a superjet 650d that has been put down a 61x engine (701)
I do not know if the jet system is orginal.
Is the jet pump housing diameter the same on 650 90-93 as the 701??

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I have a superjet 650d that has been put down a 61x engine (701)
I do not know if the jet system is orginal.
Is the jet pump housing diameter the same on 650 90-93 as the 701??

Pump is the same size (144mm) in all superjets.

Only midshaft housings are different between 650 and 701.

2lick

Brap!!!
I just pulled out a bad mid shaft from my new ski this weekend and I'm looking to rebuild it, something I have never done before.
Thanks for making this write up, its great information!

Just replaced my midshaft housing + bearing on a 93 SN. Stock hull, so set press thru to 20mm, but when I run the ski, the midshaft gets super hot (too hot to touch). I greased the shaft and pumped some thru the zerk fitting.

Any ideas?

kevbo: thx. My 96 SN with an old midshaft housing was staying cool, so I thought I had a problem with the new one on the 93. Maybe the 96s seals are slightly looser, as I think it original.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
kevbo: thx. My 96 SN with an old midshaft housing was staying cool, so I thought I had a problem with the new one on the 93. Maybe the 96s seals are slightly looser, as I think it original.

There is no 96 SN? The seals are the same on all SJs. Have seen the dbl lipped seal on the front in some couches and blasters which seem to create extra heat.

Last edited:
On a blaster there are only two shafts correct.1. Midshaft ( connecting coupler to driveshaft) 2. Driveshaft ( shaft impeller mounts to ) if I need a driveshaft for a waveblaster 1 is there another yamaha ski that uses same shaft or am I stuck looking in the bone yard?

Reactions: Ron

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
On a blaster there are only two shafts correct.1. Midshaft ( connecting coupler to driveshaft) 2. Driveshaft ( shaft impeller mounts to ) if I need a driveshaft for a waveblaster 1 is there another yamaha ski that uses same shaft or am I stuck looking in the bone yard?

WB1 driveshaft is a unique length not found on any other ski.

Christian_83

Xscream
May i add to the post my recent discovery about midshaft housings.
I found that most yamaha couches uses the "same" midshaft housing as SJ, just sitting on a larger bracket housing. See picture
image.jpg
You can unbolt this, press your SJ or custom midshaft in and mount it, ride and be happy. But what i found out, is while it appears to be identical, the internals has changed a bit, only running single double lipped seal in the rear (sj runs 2 seal, 1 single lip and 1 double lip in rear)
This could cause some confusing (it did for me) :)

Superjet:
image.jpg

Gp 1200

image.jpg

Top Bottom