It's not 1990 anymore we need a new hull material. Polyethelene, polypropylene, abs, uhmw, or seadoos polytec, are just a few that come to mind. Hulls can be made lighter cheaper and more durable then fiberglass or carbonfiber. Cad programs, and newer technology have come along way, If we come up with the best material and put our heads together. I'm sure we can get enough of us together to make a bad ass hull cheap.

A stock 700cc motor in this thing could feel like a 1200cc in a rickter. It would just take a couple people in the right industries to make this happen. So figured I would put it out there. What's more important than the worlds best stand up?

A stock 700cc motor in this thing could feel like a 1200cc in a rickter. It would just take a couple people in the right industries to make this happen. So figured I would put it out there. What's more important than the worlds best stand up?
Idk a carbon flat water hull is pretty light, and durable if you think about the abuse they take. But they sure are expensive

IMHO unless you’re talking about a flip boat lightweight sucks. I’ll always take a heavy, solid glass boat over a carbon boat for anything other than a backflip boat. In my experience carbon boats ring your bell in the surf, bounce too much for buoys. You can take a bmx bike on a mountain bike ride, but a cross country on bmx bike, no thanks!

I think a few years back there was a plastic hull that had a metal internal structure that some kids at RIT developed for a senior project. I think they were called freeform or something. Others may have more info but don't think they were very successful

Yep. Splittable hull. Looked cool from what I saw but welds broke on skeleton maybe??? I think??

A few of the pro freeride dudes were on them. The material was a proprietary bulletproof military plastic. Frame was because nothing would stick to the plastic for mounting. I think the skeleton held up fine. They didnt seem to have very good turning grip on waves, could have been hull design. All the guys that went to them are back on rickters now.

A few of the pro freeride dudes were on them. The material was a proprietary bulletproof military plastic. Frame was because nothing would stick to the plastic for mounting. I think the skeleton held up fine. They didnt seem to have very good turning grip on waves, could have been hull design. All the guys that went to them are back on rickters now.
I wonder how much R&D money got burned through!!? And all for what? See OP?

They put so much time into those and they still sucked the hull design was wack they all leaked and weren't good at all. Tons of capital burned in the process but I heard they got bought up by nikola for big loot.Jordan is definitely a smart kid that had tons of sick ideas he ultimately won.

Again this is a hobby sport what would sell 100 units maybe?go make your injected abs acrylic unobtanium material and see what's left for $ after it's done and tooling is paid for. That hull design will soon be forgotten the next year when something new comes out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
They put so much time into those and they still sucked the hull design was wack they all leaked and weren't good at all. Tons of capital burned in the process but I heard they got bought up by nikola for big loot.Jordan is definitely a smart kid that had tons of sick ideas he ultimately won.

Again this is a hobby sport what would sell 100 units maybe?go make your injected abs acrylic unobtanium material and see what's left for $ after it's done and tooling is paid for. That hull design will soon be forgotten the next year when something new comes out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Agree! Goes with almost every aspect of the sport, regardless of motor, hull, or any other component. Todays Hotshot is tomorrows Donkey.
if you dont have the capital and ideas to keep up, your done. To most of us that have been in this long term, the drive is labor of love,
your not making big bucks off it!

Thanks for the info guys. I rode a super jet for the first time ever, last week. Loved it. Haven't had a standup for 28 years wrecked one when I was 12 wanted another every since lol.

TOBY

BNA
IMHO unless you’re talking about a flip boat lightweight sucks. I’ll always take a heavy, solid glass boat over a carbon boat for anything other than a backflip boat. In my experience carbon boats ring your bell in the surf, bounce too much for buoys. You can take a bmx bike on a mountain bike ride, but a cross country on bmx bike, no thanks!
What CARBON hulls have you rode in the surf

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Back before 1998 many of the ProMod Ski's were carbon. Standups and Runabouts...... What you are referring to as "Bounce too much" or "Ring Your Bell" is the super light hulls in the surf or rough water. Jr. has a Carbon T1 which he reinforced and got the weight up just for surf riding. It is a Wave Monster. Lightweight Backflip ski's are not designed for the surf, just like heavier Surf Hulls are not flatwater flippers.

What CARBON hulls have you rode in the surf
Aquabot full carbon , Rickter FS1 full carbon, Fx1 Carbon hybrid. I just didn't like the feel of any of them. I jump on a glass boat, you name it, SJ , FX , Aquabot , any of the SV's, 1, 2, +3's, Pro, Predators, can't remember them all, but what I do remember is I'll take ANY of them over the carbon boats I've ridden. Now maybe Your boat could change my mind , lol, but haven't had the opportunity, would jump at the chance!!! Nice boat you build there!

Last edited:
Back before 1998 many of the ProMod Ski's were carbon. Standups and Runabouts...... What you are referring to as "Bounce too much" or "Ring Your Bell" is the super light hulls in the surf or rough water. Jr. has a Carbon T1 which he reinforced and got the weight up just for surf riding. It is a Wave Monster. Lightweight Backflip ski's are not designed for the surf, just like heavier Surf Hulls are not flatwater flippers.
I did say IMHO.... I have ridden 3 "equal" comparison boats in both materials in the surf for way more than 1 tank, Aquabot's , Rickter FS1 carbon/2003 SJ glass, FX1 "hybrid carbon/ FX1 glass. For the surf, out of what I've ridden, I'll take the glass version everytime.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my FS1. Beefing it with "useful" weight, takes a lot carbon to add weight though. Lot of strength , yes , lot of cost also. At least I won't break it.

The heavier hull is always going to ride and land softer than a lighter one the same size. Cheap/heavy material may work for a race or surf hull but is no good for flat water flips. The cheapest method I know of is vacuum forming heated plastic. It will be heavy and wont hold its shape nearly as well as the cheapest fiberglass can.

What's more important than the worlds best stand up?

I know youre joking...i hope. But a lot of things

Yamaha got it right for overall freeride fun in 1994. A handful of guys got it right for flatwater freestyle years and years later.

Theres always gonna theoretical better material options for our sport. But unless you can sell 50,000 skis a year youll lose your ass on tooling and r&d alone.

Like when LSU and Tennesee ruined alabama's season this year....wait wrong thread. Sorry BK.

Top Bottom