no more rrp carbon handlebars

was just informed today that RRP will not be selling their current line of carbon handlebars due to breakage.they may be working on developing new stronger ones .

My guess user install error. I ran mine for 8 months. Hard. Checked torque on them quite often and never had an issue. They have since moved on to another owner. I don’t blame them at all too much of a liability in my opinion. They have no control over the 1/2” breaker bar some dudes cranking his carbon bars down with... may not show stress until they are used in the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I run Carbon Bars on one of my MTB's. Also bought one of the midget torque wrenches that they recommend. they are pre loaded with which ever torque value you need. typically 3-6Nm. These are smaller than your palm.... Bars wont get crushed with these! Don't blame them.

all i've been told is that the right side bars broke forward when he hit the log jump and was hurt impaling himself on the broken stub.
this was another reason for rrp to pull them off the market for liability reason.someone even mentioned a possible "buy back" but can't confirm that.
i don't doubt this may happen and remains to be seen if install was faulty in the few cases of breakage or if there really is an issue with the bars.
not a big issue imo, oem kawi 550 bars used to break also.

hopefully rrp figures it out and releases updated bars.i had ordered 3 sets too!

CD155MX

Squirrel!!!
I had one bad experience with carbon bars that has my shying away from them for anything (bikes, motos, skis). Literally broke off in my hand while riding. Could have very well been a fluke quality issue, but it was enough to send me back to primitive aluminium. Had a set of carbon bars on my ski that were removed shortly after I had this issue on my bike.

1544814345639.png

1544814369205.png

I wouldn't use carbon bars if they were given to me. what is the advantage? none and the disadvantages are plenty. I broke my X2 bars in 2002 and some Xscream bars on my yellow freak. maybe if I weighed a buck and a nickel and wasn't a gorilla thrasher! oh hyea, I got some bent crank brothers 31.8 bars laying on the ground out back, that came off my hurricane last year

Last edited:

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I wouldn't use carbon bars if they were given to me. what is the advantage? none and the disadvantages are plenty. I broke my X2 bars in 2002 and some Xscream bars on my yellow freak. maybe if I weighed a buck and a nickel and wasn't a gorilla thrasher! oh hyea, I got some bent crank brothers 31.8 bars laying on the ground out back, that came off my hurricane last year

Now I know why they used a picture of your for there mascot!

scre.JPG

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
Those RRP bars look great. Just like the visual carbon work on their XFS hulls. Doesn't surprise me that the bars are breaking. If the hulls are breaking I am surprised the bars lasted any longer lol.

I use solid aluminum bars now after breaking XS bars 2 times. My problem is the same spot as the others have broken off. Its a hard edge on the steering plate that pinches on the tubing. I am 200lbs roughly and would land on the shock pad. Also I am very sure user error when tightening them down. I had a machinist look at them and find some faults in the XS steering plate causing the bars to break but I hated that steering anyways so went another way. Not thinking of going to anything other than solid bar for now on. I weighed the difference one time, It was something like 1.8Lbs for solid, 0.8lbs for hollow bar. I would assume carbon bars are about 0.5lbs. Not a big enough risk over reward like mentioned above.

Top Bottom