Security surveillance camera

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Things you can’t unsee...

Like seriously!

And now you're in our home, installing new cabinets and you’ve never washed your hands!

219e64bc94fb672c84ff7255e711a9ed.png
Wut De fudge.

E350

Site Supporter
BK: TO GO REALLY, REALLY CHEAP GO WITH WYZECAM for $19.99 per camera !!! Plus you need to buy a 32-64 GB class 10 SD card. So far, Wyzecam is viewable on phone only.

https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam/

I have one Wyzecam. It is ok. But not comparable to Nestcam. But I am rooting for Wyze, because they will continue to drive down the price of Nestcam and Nest Aware.

Nestcam is a great high acuity camera and a great user interface because it can be viewed not only on your phone but on a pc (which can be hooked up to your tv or other monitor):

https://nest.com/cameras/

Previously, I was grumpy with Nestcam because the cloud-based monthly subscription was way too high, but competition has driven the price down to $5 per month per camera:

https://nest.com/cameras/nest-aware/

Not that I should, but I have been using indoor Nestcams outside under eaves and on a window sill in snow country and so far so good. So, I will continue down the Nestcam road.

We also got sucked further into the Nest family because the Nest Thermostat is simply awesome for cold environments where your heat is provided by propane. Turn it off when you leave. Whoops did I leave the furnace on? No need to turn the truck around to go back to check. Check the Nest Thermostat on your cell phone. Turn the heat on before you get there from your laptop or cell phone.

https://nest.com/thermostats/

I also plan to buy the Nest video doorbell:

https://nest.com/doorbell/nest-hello/overview/

Google is likely funded in part by the Federal Gov't (do you really believe that a private company has the budget to video every street in the World?), so I understand that the NSA has all my cloud-based Nest videos. Only future privacy legislation will change that.

For extra credit, turn the electric blanket on before you arrive:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5516_HS100-KIT.html

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
What is drawing you to the wireless version vs wired?

The most common reason I hear is that people don't want to run Ethernet cable from their NVR location out to each camera. I challenge back, you still need to power the cameras so what will it take to put a 120VAC outlet at each location? Surely CAT5 has to be easier, (and doesn't require an electrician either).

Regardless, wireless systems certainly have their place but be aware that their resolution is limited to 1080P resolution, (1920x1080), The wired 4MP version offers 2560x1440 and the 5MP versions are 2560x1920, (that's nearly double the view area and 2.5X the resolution!).

Having recently upgraded from 4MP cams to 5MP, I can attest to how much of a difference resolution makes. 4MP would be the minimum I would ever consider.

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I have a couple of the totally wireless cams with solar charging panels if you want to try them. The problem with them is that they only record short clips triggered on PIR motion and they eat up the battery if you try to live stream more than a few minutes here and there.

PIR works quite well but I prefer recording and viewing 24/7, which the battery cameras cannot do. You also can't manage or configure them from a PC, they are mobile device only. Not a deal breaker but certainly a detail I would want to know about going in.

https://reolink.com/product/argus-2/

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I have a telescoping paint handle that I use to clean my cams and no, I have not found a way to prevent spiders yet. They seemed to take care of themselves at the last house once the birds caught on but it hasn't happened at the new house yet. We have way more bugs around now that we live on water so they eat quite well without having to pick the house clean.

We switched from Yates to Terminix after they pitched us on their service supposedly spraying for spider control but it did nothing so we switched back. Still kinda pissed about the blatant lie but it was worth a shot. The claim was some sort of pheromone that "marks" the territory so spiders stay away.

I usually get some insider emails around this time but haven't seen any in awhile. Nothing of interest anyways and no good deals either. Besides, I'm learning that anytime they push out really good deals, it is to clear out stock before a new release or upgrade of some kind. Case in point, I scored 9 more of the 4MP RLC-410's at $54 right before they made the jump to 5MP. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of 4MP cams when there is better out there. Same goes for the RLC-423 PTZ, I got the 4MP version for $199 right before they released the 5MP version. I ended up getting the 5MP version as well for just $225 but now I can clearly see the difference and only want 5MP cams.

I have both 4 and 5MP 410's now as well and the 5MP versions are better in every way.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
One of my 410s just crapped out on Sunday. It is fine during the daytime. however at night it is pitch black . The infrareds are illuminated.. is there a reset or fix for this?
I have been contemplating a return as the system is just over a year old ( thanks to this thread) but within Reolinks 2 year warranty.
I've been scouring amazon for a replacement or black Friday deal. I too almost just bought a discounted 410 to add into the system. I suppose I'll just go to the 5mp then.
@The OCD Garage, Do you know if the wireless 5mp requires a SD card or can it just run over wifi and the NVR record the feed in real time?

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Curious, any chance a setting got changed? The settings that would affect that are highlighted in yellow below. These are all the defaults and rarely need to be changed.

Reolink Defaults.jpg

All of the wireless versions that I have played with will record over the network or to the SD card. They are just a pain to join to the network the first time but are good after that.

Note: Wireless cams like the Argus or Keens will be the exceptions. The battery powered units won't talk to anything other than the mobile app and are limited to short clips only.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I have a telescoping paint handle that I use to clean my cams and no, I have not found a way to prevent spiders yet. They seemed to take care of themselves at the last house once the birds caught on but it hasn't happened at the new house yet. We have way more bugs around now that we live on water so they eat quite well without having to pick the house clean.

not sure what garbage the monthly companies use. When I "do my own" with this stuff after a week there is a perimeter of dead bugs around my house and it last a couple months. (double up on your first spray for best results)

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/crawling-insects/spider-control-products

So i ordered the reolink 8 ch nvr with 4 mp cameras and a 2 pack of the 5mp cameras for 475 today off reolinks site. I have to get the rest of my drops ran today as I have insulation guys coming tomorrow morning to insulate the room above my garage where my setup will all run to. Excited to finally get a setup and see what happens around here when im gone. Gonna use the 5mp for the front door and the driveway cams and use the 4mp cams for the back door and corners of the house. Gotta go wire!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
So i ordered the reolink 8 ch nvr with 4 mp cameras and a 2 pack of the 5mp cameras for 475 today off reolinks site. I have to get the rest of my drops ran today as I have insulation guys coming tomorrow morning to insulate the room above my garage where my setup will all run to. Excited to finally get a setup and see what happens around here when im gone. Gonna use the 5mp for the front door and the driveway cams and use the 4mp cams for the back door and corners of the house. Gotta go wire!
Link?

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Somebody needs to try this coupon. Not sure if they require a matching email addy as this was sent direct to me.

fd790faed99aa311a88e858a10d76e72.jpg

89ab66f0d87e78422a03b20099d0205e.jpg

Top Bottom