The Circus

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
I’ve seen tem pull a superfreak out of his van in 3 pieces and literally just hand it to somebody...”here take this”. Probably weighed 35-40lbs in that form, if that. I know don usually builds his in kit form because he has it down to a science now. He has particular things he wants or adds that manufacturers either won’t do it to his standards, or have no interest in adding it the way he wants.

How did come across a hull in this form, is it a kit or something? Freaks need this much assembly ?

To answer you question @Harbor,yes there is that much assembly on these hulls.l never owned one that l didn't build.Tem is an awesome innovator of surfboards,sailboats,skis,and carbon power boats (look up on Fb: Berky Boats).l'm not good at what he does, l'm just a finish guy.The hulls have always been a pita to build,not for the faint of heart.I've said it previously that my first build was a Stunt hull kit.You might say a gateway to learning a lot of how too's.That was probably the biggest pos that you could ever imagine.Nothing fit.. So coming from there,l bought my first SF badass.@mcdog bought one too,both in kit form.We shared a lot of info back and forth to make those first ones.Now the Circus has some things in common to the badass,but not many.This ski in some ways had a whole new set of issues.Like making the pump shoe section is a good example (the beginning of this thread).Normally I'm done with one in about 3-4 months ready to start riding in May,but since the bum shoulder this year,l've drug this one out.

And thanks for comments @ProSouth,you are correct!

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
So l got up this morning and un-clamped the pieces.Late last night (5 hours in) l took the clamps off for a few minutes to pull all the masking tape and extra resin that was sticking everything together.lt would have sucked to get it apart this morning.I would have been trying to pry apart the wood from the carbon.The resin was just in the spots that l wanted.Gave me a great edge that would have been a ton of sanding.This morning l'll attach the horns.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 178
Well thanks to both of you fir the details. I've not seen a thread like this before. I remember when Thrust started offering the circus hulls, it said something like build experience required, not recommended for a beginner, built available. Thought it was poll bracket and pump shoe type stuff I had no idea lol.. looks real nice, takes balls to do what you guys are doing.

CHRISRACERX

Get Wet
I don’t know how you guys do it with these builds. I can see if it’s your 9 to 5 but with regular stuff going on there’s so much input and dedication that is needed when doing it as a hobbyist. It’s all baby steps. A lot of going back and forth. I give it up to you guys who build these.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
I normally start these full builds in Nov-Dec and done by April-May.Not a lot going at that time of year for me,so it works.lt also helps my wife and l don't have small children like a lot of guys on here. Appreciate your kind words @CHRISRACERX

Got the hood roughed in and fitting now.Not much left for me to do at this point.I'm going to spend this weekend just going over everything so my painter just has to sand and clear.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 191
Hey Don

Great job so far....quickie...The freak next to the one you are building in the pics above has tubbies......which ones are those that fit (and do they fit nice and snug)

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
If l remember correctly they are from blowsion.But the hull is a pre badass hull.So it handles a bit different (then the BA) and the reason l put the tubbies on it.And no they don't fit real well towards the nose of the ski.The tubbies go straight and the nose of the ski rolls up.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Last pics for a bit..
Spent about 3 hours grinding all the excess epoxy that spouged out from the bond line yesterday.l meant to clean it off right after we mated the two halfs,but neglected it.Paid for it yesterday.The pics show after clean up and then l added a thin coat of thickned epoxy over to make it look clean.Thats one of those areas for most part that gets neglected."Hey,you can't see it from where I'm standing!"

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 168

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Well,as expected.. That visual hull is starting to disappear under a couple weeks worth of body shop dust.No worries,you just have to expect that l go under the category of "friends and family".That means l go to the very end of the line. Other jobs come first.Like my wife's Subaru that her sister ran into a couple weeks ago,in our driveway!:mad: It will be done long before the ski..

To be continued

tom21

havin fun
simply amazing. That exhaust is beautiful, you have come a long way from that first one you sent me pics of. I think this thread should be a sticky for How to Hull Assembly so that others have something to aspire to. And if you know Don, you know he is a humble man and doesnt feel like he deserves the praise but lets be honest, fitment and detail-Whole notha LEVAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Thanks @tom21 for your kind words!
Walked into the body shop today where the Circus is at and almost passed out in disbelief.The guys almost got it all sanded down.I'm not holding my breath but this ski could get finished in the next week or two.l hope my next update will be pics of it back in my shop.. Hold your excitement back for the time being

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
So my last post was Sept 10th.Since then l got pissed and pulled the ski out of the shop last week.It went to a painter buddy and l pick it up tomorrow.:) I'll let it set for a week before ever touching it.Let that paint get hard.Next week I'll start putting it all together..
image.jpeg

Top Bottom