Who Mountain Bikes for exercise?

SMP

Ok, My hardtail started out as a S.S. Built it up from parts off ebay 4 years ago. High end Kona Ku (Hand build frame). But with the verticle dropouts it did not work well, used a singlator to keep chain tension but it did not work well. May convert it back and just use a derailure to control the tension.

BK - have you tried using a half-link to tension? I agree that tensioners suck - I bought a half-link when I broke my 2nd tensioner in 6 mos.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
No, I read about them back in 05 when I built it up. At that time I dont think anybody had them around. If I remember they came from England. May have to look into it!!!!!! Been thinkin about converting it back.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
A local ridder and buddy just built a slope stye track in his yard. Well 6 mo ago. Fun, but intimidating. Most the pics are or Ryan.

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 51

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
I just got done building up a KHS XCT555 for my winter ride. Got the frame for next to nothing from Bob's Bicycles in Idaho, and swapped parts off my Trek Fuel to the KHS. The KHS has a better rear suspension feel and is about a 1/2 pound lighter than my Trek.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 29

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I had been looking at the Team edition (XC Frame) some, great price. Picked up a Titus FTM last month for a great price.

Attachments

• IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4473.jpg
    IMG_4473.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 24

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
It's a night and day difference when compared to a hardtail. A FS bike carves better, makes it easier to pick the right line, etc. A novice biker can ride a FS and speed thru a trail faster than an intermediate biker on a hardtail can. Of course, that depends on the terrain, I'm talking a place with some uphills and some tight singletrack.

I just got done building up a KHS XCT555 for my winter ride. Got the frame for next to nothing from Bob's Bicycles in Idaho, and swapped parts off my Trek Fuel to the KHS. The KHS has a better rear suspension feel and is about a 1/2 pound lighter than my Trek.

If this isn't too personal,How much does a bike like that cost?

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
The frame was $430 shipped. I took the parts off my old 07 Trek Fuel EX6, which cost about $900 a year ago.
If you go to a bike shop and pick up a decent full suspension bike, you should be spending $1200- $2300. A hardtail bike (a bike with no rear shock, only front) is a lot less, starting off around $400 to $800.
Of course, you can spend a lot more than that, but that's about average. What I like about biking - if something breaks, you can fix it for under $20 usually, and it costs nothing to ride. Just drive to a spot and hit the trail. You can't have this much fun for free anywhere, if you ask me. Plus, the scenery rocks.

Attachments

• thundermountain 019.jpg
    thundermountain 019.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 22

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I just paid $2600.00 for the one I just bought, LBS had it marked down from $3600.00.

If your gonna ride serious and want full suspension, I would not look at anything under $1500.00 MSRP. Best time of year to buy is right now when bike shops are trying to make room for the 2010 bikes.

Are bikes an all out sort of thing? Could I spend a lot less and still like it or would I just be left wanting more? I honestly wouldn't be able to get to a trail with any regularity so I can't justify spending a whole lot.

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
I spent 725 on my Gary Fisher Mullet. I think I might have 10 rides on it total.. lol I need to find some more peopel to ride with next year. The weather is getting cold and it will be ski/board season soon. Speaking of justifying money expenditures... I have a bunch tied up in that stuff too. It does get used a bunch more than the bike though.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Are bikes an all out sort of thing? Could I spend a lot less and still like it or would I just be left wanting more? I honestly wouldn't be able to get to a trail with any regularity so I can't justify spending a whole lot.

There are alot of good bikes for less than 2K. A giant Yukon FS is a good full suspension rig for only 1K. Specialized Rockhopper is a good hardtail. Several Gary Fishers, Treks and others out there from 1k to 1.5k.

Something to consider, you can get a whole lot more bike dollar for dollar by going with a hardtail. You get a lighter rig with better components.

Mountain biking is one of those sports that you really do get what you pay for it and put into it.

But that does not mean you cannot find a good bike at a budget price and not enjoy it just as much.

My advice, get a bike that you only plan to use it for a year, see how much you like riding, after that, if you are hooked, start planning to step up to bigger and better. Keep your old bike for backup or a loaner.

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
+1 Big Kahuna. If you have never ridden before and just want to see if you'll like it, go with a hardtail. But don't get some cheapo Wal Mart bike- you'll hate it. Pick up a Gary Fisher or a Trek (maybe even a decent Specialized) for around $400 or $500...heck, look on Craigslist and buy a used one. Take it out and ride it to see if the sport's for you. If you hate it and don't go, then sell the bike for a couple hundred, and you're good to go with minimal investment.
I started riding a year and a half ago, and it's the best thing I've ever done since taking up riding standups. I took a big trip back west this year, went to some killer riding spots in Colorado, Utah and Arizona. I'm going again next year. It's a peaceful sport if you want it to be, or it can be downright crazy if you choose-it's very adaptable to your level of skill/age (LOL).
I started with a Trek hardtail I got for $430. After I got hooked, six months later I bought my full suspension. After deciding that I will be doing this for a long time to come, I just built my first full suspension bike (the KHS), and I am officially hooked. The weather is cooling down, so it's perfect to hang up the life jacket and wrestling shoes and then pick up the bike and hit the trails (no lycra, please).

teton

tetongravity.com
same here.....finally picked this up to replace the stolens a couple of months ago.

not bad for 2K

Attachments

• mybike.jpg
    mybike.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom