1991 X2 Steering Spring

Just got my X2 in the water. First X2 I have owned. Previous experience has been with Yama's (Superjet, FX1, GP1200, etc, etc). This ski does not have lanyard switch. As I understand it, when you fall off it is suppose to do circles, like the old Kawi stands up use to. My ski continues to go the direction it was pointed, at a speed equal to my crawl stroke. Bad deal, as the ski usually gets a head start. So my questions:

1. There must be a spring somewhere that is missing or broken. I pulled up a parts diagram and I see 3 different spring in the steering set up, but not sure one of these will solve the problem. Can you confirm which spring forces the handle bars one direction so it does circles when falling off?

2. I set the carb idle as low as it will go . . I was hoping to set it so low that if I fell off the ski the engine would die. It idles decent, but even with the butterfly bottomed out, it sill idles. I am sure the age of the carb (who knows when it was rebuilt) is a contributing factor. The ski also has a Westcoast head and pipe. Am I missing a carb setting so it will idle down farther? I plan to rebuild the carb this winter . . . would just like to make the ski safer to ride this season before I tear into it.

Thanks all.

Kevin

Wilke

X2 stole my life
There is no spring for the steering to make it circle, it relys on the ski leaning to one side (motor torque, hull design, weight distribution, whatever) and causing it to slowly turn. Some do, some don't.

You can replace the start/stop switch face plate with one from a TS that has a lanyard kill. They're a bit pricey, but its a direct swap, takes 2min. You see them pop up every once in a while on ebay or here for like $50 (I just bought one for my SX on ebay, got the entire switch for $45), or you can just bite the bullet and order one from any kawi dealer for I think like $70 for just the faceplate part #32099-3762 . IMO every ski should have a lanyard kill, for the riders sake and for those around you.

Do you know what years / models utilized this desired setup? My initial research indicates 1992 - 1995 X2 and SX's . . but want to be more certain before go hunting. I appreciate the guidance.

I used a small 6" bungy cord, one of the1/4" diameter cords. I attached it into the steering system under the hood and it lasted for many years. You couldnt tell it was there but when you let go of the bars 'clunk', "left turn Clyde!"

X2s self circle better than most skis, your idle must be very low. The early 750ss boats had no lanyard and a steering spring. It should not be difficult to attach a bungee/spring from the steering crossover to one of the compression struts.

Thanks all. I went with the Lanyard set up. Two screws, quick and easy. Thanks to Hardcore for the part. Works great.

save the cash and remove the idle screw so it will stall... that way when your about to get bombarded by a big wave you dont need that extra time to put the lanyard in...

Top Bottom