2008 SJ steering mods (with pics). Still need more throw!

So I have come to the conclusion as we all already know the steering throw on the new super jets sux! I have been in contact with many companys trying to find a fix for this problem that will not break the bank! So far it doesn't exist or I just have not found it yet. Everyone is telling me to run the 2007 and earlier steering cable I have to buy the cable, buy a differant hand pole, older style nozzle.... but i don't wanna spend the $800 for a new pole!

This is what I have done so far to increase the throw of the stock setup. Any more hints / tips would be great.

* moved the end of the cable in to increase throw a lil bit.....
IMG_5774.jpg

*moved the upper part of the cable out to increase the throw a lil bit.....(middle hole was stock location)
IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

if you guys have any more suggestions withut me having to buy a new pole that would be appreciated.
Thanks
-chris-

Last edited:

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
You need to move the cable further out on the turn plate up on the handlebars. Most aftermarket turn plates offer more throw, but a cheap way would be to add an extender using the existing holes to attach the extender and a new hole further out for the cable. I'm not sure, but you may have to do some work on the pole pad for clearance.

tomski

X
Cut the top aluminum top cast piece off; sell to FX-1 guy. Buy top cast piece from a 96 to 2007 pole; Install.

Buy 96 to 2007 steering cable; problem solved...But as of any project, more than one way to do.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
I am guessing you tapped that third hole on the turn plate? I did on mine and the cable bottoms out before the turn plate hits its stop no mater how much adjusting I did. This will put strain on your cable and could break it. I moved mine back to the middle hole.

I don't know of any other way around this other than bringing your nozzle pivot point closer in to its axis (like you've done). I wen't a little further with mine and havn't had any breakage. in two years time. I wouldn't try to move yours any closer since you wouldn't gain much throw and would weaken the arm even more.

yeah its drilled, tapped, and red lock tite. your right about the steer stop. The left side hits the stop, the right side is about 1/2 inch off the stop. I cannot adjust it either to make both sides hit the stop. Should I move it back to the stock position?

I am guessing you tapped that third hole on the turn plate? I did on mine and the cable bottoms out before the turn plate hits its stop no mater how much adjusting I did. This will put strain on your cable and could break it. I moved mine back to the middle hole.

I don't know of any other way around this other than bringing your nozzle pivot point closer in to its axis (like you've done). I wen't a little further with mine and havn't had any breakage. in two years time. I wouldn't try to move yours any closer since you wouldn't gain much throw and would weaken the arm even more.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
From a retailer or would this have to b e-bay finds.....?

haven't you noticed all the ski's with aftermarket poles on this board? They all used to have stock poles. Put up a WTB thread for a pre-08 stock pole. I think thrust had a tree decorated with a bunch of them like ornaments. buy one, shorten it and get a pre-08 or comparable AM cable and you're set for cheap.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
yeah its drilled, tapped, and red lock tite. your right about the steer stop. The left side hits the stop, the right side is about 1/2 inch off the stop. I cannot adjust it either to make both sides hit the stop. Should I move it back to the stock position?

You will break the cable in short order if you run it like that (cable stops before plate hits the steering stop)

I´m a jet based on crate new -09... among somethings I mounted a RRP pole with a Blowsion steeringkit.... i mounted the steeringcable in the hole furthest out beliving I would get the biggest steering throw.... When the steering is in It´s end position, regarding if it`s left or right, there`s approx. 1cm untill steeringplate reaches the steeringstopper....

*Is this the same problem that you experience?

*And is the solution for me to get a 96-2007 steeringcable?? (anyone?)

*Will I get even more/faster turning with a quicksteer from RRP? (anyone?)

:Banane37:

It will be about a week before (12-14 hour days for the next 4 days) but I think friday will the day! The cable travel distance is huge though though.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I´m a jet based on crate new -09... among somethings I mounted a RRP pole with a Blowsion steeringkit.... i mounted the steeringcable in the hole furthest out beliving I would get the biggest steering throw.... When the steering is in It´s end position, regarding if it`s left or right, there`s approx. 1cm untill steeringplate reaches the steeringstopper....

*Is this the same problem that you experience?

*And is the solution for me to get a 96-2007 steeringcable?? (anyone?)

*Will I get even more/faster turning with a quicksteer from RRP? (anyone?)

:Banane37:

If I read you right, you installed a RRP pole with the 09 Steering cable. This won't work, as you found out. If I am not mistaken, the RRP pole is set up for a pre-08 cable.
The 09 cable does not have enough cable travel. You need an older cable.

Lucaumpits

RIDE LIKE U'VE STOLE IT!!
you are right.

08 cable is junk not enough travel, get a pre 08 and you be fine
sent a PM to Jetmaniac he got some nice special on brand new cables
If I read you right, you installed a RRP pole with the 09 Steering cable. This won't work, as you found out. If I am not mistaken, the RRP pole is set up for a pre-08 cable.
The 09 cable does not have enough cable travel. You need an older cable.

Top Bottom