300/440/550 550's are fast!

DaUpJetSkier

I like square
Ive built up my 550 over the last two years and I just bought a SJ a while ago with a 650. Well I finally had both skis out and the 550 keeps right up with the SJ. Its got a kerker pipe, k&n filter, ports smoothed, 15 skat trak, intake and ride plate, 44 SB mikuni. My 650 only has and intake grate and ocean pro milled head. Just gotta say im really surpised that the ol 550 can keep up, I guess I built it right. I think im gonna mill the head, its at 0nly 100psi right now so maybe go only up to 150 if I can and see. Now I need a 701 for the 650. Just thought id say lol.

its easier to get speed out of a 440 than a 550. less mass in the moving parts of the engine add up in the RPMs. and the old kawi hull are so small and light.

how does the 650 compare to the 550 in bottom end? thats where it matters. youre right. you need a 701.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I rode a 550 back to back with my 650 square today. I think the 550 had a pipe, and my 650 has a milled head.
I was surprised - that 550 does pretty well for itself. That hull is kinda fun. I have some newfound respect for old school Kawi riders now.
Makes me want an FX1.

DaUpJetSkier

I like square
well the 65o turns like no other compared to my 550 and that right there does it for me, I can throw the 650 much more actually. Bottom end is a lil more on the 650 sj but both are nothing to brag about. I dunno, if I can get soem goos stabs on the sj i'll be happy this year and then move up and get some power for Br's.

another difference is that the 550 is screaming its little heart out like the little engine that could. the stock, rev-limited 650sj is being modest with the 6m6 cylinders and no pipe.

i do miss riding my 550 in the surf. no footholds. no helmet. no weight. woo!!!!

nothing beats the SJ

SJ/XPBri

Just SJBri = no more XP
sflsurfrider said:
its easier to get speed out of a 440 than a 550. less mass in the moving parts of the engine add up in the RPMs. and the old kawi hull are so small and light.

how does the 650 compare to the 550 in bottom end? thats where it matters. youre right. you need a 701.
Who cares... if you want speed, buy a couch.
Bri

In the spring of 92 at a B.C. race in marine stadium I witnessed a race between Rob Flores and a Swedish guy by the name of Manson. Flores had a mod fully done up by Newman himself from Rec world in Vegas. This boat had wescoast cylinder and stainless skat pump (440) total loss. The swede had 550 C1 OEM cylinder stroker crank, no total loss and a 550 pump prepped by dave at Jet Pro (also a swede).
Off the line the rec world boat pulled on the 550 pump boat by at least 3 boat lengths , halfway to the bouy they were even, 3/4 of the way the swede had him by 2 boat lengths ,around the bouy the swede was pulling away and had him by 4 boat lengths. Back then if your 550 did 52 it was good and most people said they did 54 mph when they were doing 52. The 550 pump, oem cylinder,non total loss boat was doing 56 mph on radar.

adet16v

No like winter
2XLR8 said:
In the spring of 92 at a B.C. race in marine stadium I witnessed a race between Rob Flores and a Swedish guy by the name of Manson. Flores had a mod fully done up by Newman himself from Rec world in Vegas. This boat had wescoast cylinder and stainless skat pump (440) total loss. The swede had 550 C1 OEM cylinder stroker crank, no total loss and a 550 pump prepped by dave at Jet Pro (also a swede).
Off the line the rec world boat pulled on the 550 pump boat by at least 3 boat lengths , halfway to the bouy they were even, 3/4 of the way the swede had him by 2 boat lengths ,around the bouy the swede was pulling away and had him by 4 boat lengths. Back then if your 550 did 52 it was good and most people said they did 54 mph when they were doing 52. The 550 pump, oem cylinder,non total loss boat was doing 56 mph on radar.

that sounds like a bedtime story :biggrin:

Matt_E said:
I rode a 550 back to back with my 650 square today. I think the 550 had a pipe, and my 650 has a milled head.
I was surprised - that 550 does pretty well for itself. That hull is kinda fun. I have some newfound respect for old school Kawi riders now.
Makes me want an FX1.[/quote]

me too :rolleyes:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Idok said:
Matt_E said:
Makes me want an FX1.[/quote]

me too :rolleyes:
you ready to sell that pile of parts?

douglee25

m3booooy
I have a 550 that's stock. The thing is so clean and runs so well that I can't justify selling it. It is a fun little toy that makes me laugh just about every time I ride it. When I jump the first wave and hear the pump unload, the sound just cracks me up when comparing it to a superjet. It almost sounds like a little wind up toy. I think I'm gonna take mine out this weekend. lol

Doug

adet16v

No like winter
douglee25 said:
I have a 550 that's stock. The thing is so clean and runs so well that I can't justify selling it. It is a fun little toy that makes me laugh just about every time I ride it. When I jump the first wave and hear the pump unload, the sound just cracks me up when comparing it to a superjet. It almost sounds like a little wind up toy. I think I'm gonna take mine out this weekend. lol

Doug

ahhh the pink lightning....

douglee25

m3booooy
adet16v said:
ahhh the pink lightning....

You know it!

550sx-1991.jpg

Doug

Last edited:
Top Bottom