701 or 760?

Hey guys I just got my first SN with a 650 that is stock! I am already thinking about in the future soon about putting a 701 in my ski or even a 760. I rode my buddies 701 and loved the power. I'm sure the 760 will have more get up! Just looking for some input and what have some of you guys done to your skis out there... Any Info or Suggestions Greatly Appreciated! Also what are some differences i will have with putting a 760 in my ski then to a 701. So what should it be 701 or 760? :brap:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
If you are serious about upgrading your power, I would contact #.0 and buy this top end, http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/57202 Fantastic price on a great package! I bounced my Visa off the phone all weekend.

Find a nice set of ported cases and a fresh crank to drop it onto and you are rocking a sweet setup with more than enough power to keep you going for a few years.

A 62T 760 needs a really good port job to make it out perform the 61X 701 due to it's porting, it can do it but you can build a much more impressive 701 for way cheaper. The link above is an excellent way to go. It is the best of both worlds, the porting of the 61x and the bore of the 760. Combined with a B-pipe and a good set of carbs, you are set.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
You have to run an aftermarket pipe on a 760 to get it in the hull without some serious exhaust routing and possibly glassing. My advice would be to find a couch that has issues and buy it, swap the motor and sell your 650 for a few hundred. It will end up being cheaper and faster than tearing your motor down and getting machine work done and looking/waiting for parts.

What year SN is it? If I remember correctly the pumps on the old SNs are not as strong as the newer hulls. If you are going to spend the money to go with a 760 you definitely should buy a newer hull to put it in. I have a '06 now with a 760 in it and an '90 SN with a 650 in it. I just milled the head, put a Mach 1 pipe on it, and some other stuff and that 650 can keep up with stock 701s

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
what are you talking about? you can run a b pipe on a 760 without porting it.

Yes you can but the point is that a stock 701 with a b-pipe would rock it on bottom end. I have ridden 760 Superjet's with no porting and I would take a strong 61X over them anyday. Now, my TLR ported 760...that's a different story.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I'll let you bench riders hash it out. I'll take your 760's off your hands since they're nothing but boat anchors. those old x cases are junk too, send them my way.

Last edited:

Vincent_85

Take a Stand
I also have the 62T 760cc with the factory pipe type B, msd enhacer, OEM carbs, 13/17 prop, pump cone. The ski is only doing 76km/h (47mp/h). I find that a little to less. Is this because the cilinder is not ported?? Or maybe because the carbs are to small??

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
I also have the 62T 760cc with the factory pipe type B, msd enhacer, OEM carbs, 13/17 prop, pump cone. The ski is only doing 76km/h (47mp/h). I find that a little to less. Is this because the cilinder is not ported?? Or maybe because the carbs are to small??

The 701 62T Waveraider does 51-52mph stock with dual 38mm carbs. I would guess that your jetting and/or b pipe setting could probably be adjusted for more RPM's.

Vincent_85

Take a Stand
carbs are stock, 1,5 needle and seat; 95gr spring; 75 low jet; 135 main jet...
but a runabout hull always goes faster then a standup hull even with the same engine...

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
but a runabout hull always goes faster then a standup hull even with the same engine...

Not true at all.

You have a Superjet, right? Maybe you need to try a steeper impeller (if you think your jetting is correct) to take advantage of the extra torque that the 760 cc should be giving you. Or, a smaller pump nozzle.

Vincent_85

Take a Stand
the nozzle is OEM. if you port the 760cc what dimension of the ports can you go to ?? (this is maybe a wrong way of putting it)

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
Really depends how you ride. My ported 760 has nice smooth power, and tons of torque. A 701 (61x cyl) has a lot more snap to it. I have felt 701s that hit twice as hard as a 760. For me (surf ridding) I want more smooth power, trying to fide more fluid.

Either way, the upgrade is worthwhile.

piratelife

Frandsen works
Not true at all.

You have a Superjet, right? Maybe you need to try a steeper impeller (if you think your jetting is correct) to take advantage of the extra torque that the 760 cc should be giving you. Or, a smaller pump nozzle.

A raider hull is without a doubt a faster hull then a superjet..

scotts2t

Head Woop!
You need 701, it will be a better 'now' setup for what your looking for over 760. By the time your looking for more power from your fully modded 701 you will be in the mindset of an aftermarket motor to boot.

Top Bottom