92 650sx Oregon Project

I bought a 1992 650sx last night and will get going soon on turning it into a nice little recreational ski. So far I see it has dual 38's ( Anyone want to buy a nice set of dual 38's with a Westcoast Intake?) Kerker exhaust, Westcoast Exhaust manifold, Stainless impeller, Jetsport Rideplate, Top Loader Intake grate, 0 degree bars, Trigger throttle, oil injection block off, and a gel cell battery. The hull is fairly clean, original kawasaki stickers etc. I'll do a compression test on it tonight and see where I stand with the cylinders.

Anyone have a Keihin 42mm carb?

Attachments

• 3kc3o43l4ZZZZZZZZZ94f3d90d8f6ec2f1da3.jpg
    3kc3o43l4ZZZZZZZZZ94f3d90d8f6ec2f1da3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 3n73k33pbZZZZZZZZZ94f09b620f07513189e.jpg
    3n73k33pbZZZZZZZZZ94f09b620f07513189e.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 56
I'm actually considering keeping them. If I sold them I'd just want a 42mm Keihin and modified manifold in trade so I could bolt it on and go, but I'm hearing that the 38's should have some serious response if tuned correctly. The previous owner said the ski doesn't idle, or circle, and that it has poor bottom end response and fouls plugs. I have yet to get it in the water yet, and I'm thinking that once I know the compression, that some tuning could possibly bring this thing to life.

On a good note, I see that there are some parts still avail through Kawasaki for the 650sx, like motor mounts, throttle cables, crank seals etc.. if I need them. So I'm for sure going to make this a fun ski.

Any tips on tuning these carbs? I'm at 1000 ft. Elevation in Southern Oregon.

Oh, I forgot to include one thing the previous owner claimed. 64 mph on his GPS. I seriously doubt that one, but does anyone know a realistic number for a fast 650sx with dual 38's and a pipe? I don't think this thing would touch 50, but who knows, as I'm still not sure what has been done to the inside of the engine. I'd like to pull it out in the next few days if I ever get time, and inspect it thoroughly. I'm thinking I should at the minimum buy new crank seals, and block off the crankcase drain while I have the motor out. I might pull the cyl, and head to inspect the bores and pistons and decide if I want to freshen everything up at that point. Group K work sounds like a good idea if I go that far ;)

You could have a very nice boat but everything needs to be checked, afterall its 17 years old. Carefully inspect the crank and rod bearings for pitting, replace it if any is found. Performance wise, a stock 91-95 manifold with a stock 38 or 40 will work fine as will that pair of 38s if you can tune them. Power will come from a better pipe, port work, and a low piched prop.

Top Bottom