ADA head install

michael950

for me to POOP on!
Anything in particular I need to know about when I install the ADA head? It purchased a girddle kit so will be going that route.

Instructions say no head gasket or gasket sealer... any worries about squish?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
If you're on 83mm or smaller bore, no worries about squish - unless your cyl is decked. No head gasket, that is correct.
Use some vaseline or bearing grease on the orings to hold them in place.

Disregard the torque recommendations ADA gives you. Torque the head bolts to 22ftlbs and the girdle nuts to 35 ftlbs.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
I always check squish after a new head install just to be sure everything is cool. A piece of mind.

I use a small few dabs of silicone to hold in the rings in for assembly or as Matt said works just as well.

Mark44

michael950

for me to POOP on!
Bone stock motor for now. Little bit at a time.

Oh, before I forget...

Do I just disconnect the Overheat sensor and leave the connectors empty, or do I plug them together (is it a normally open or normally closed)?

Is the cooling fittings the same thread as those used on the FPP manifold?

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Just tape off the overheat sensor wires.
I believe the thread size is the same (1/4 NPT?)

Clean the threads in the cases and the cylinder.

Keith

Landlocked
If you're on 83mm or smaller bore, no worries about squish - unless your cyl is decked. No head gasket, that is correct.
Use some vaseline or bearing grease on the orings to hold them in place.

Disregard the torque recommendations ADA gives you. Torque the head bolts to 22ftlbs and the girdle nuts to 35 ftlbs.

Whats wrong with ADAs torque specs?

douglee25

m3booooy
Just out of curiosity, not disagreeing with 22ft lbs. on the head bolts as the standard spec, but does anyone feel like they are on the virge of stripping? I've broken 3 head bolts torquing to this spec. I know my wrench is calibrated correctly too. I have since lowered it to around 18 - 20 ft lbs.

Doug

ANT

Just ride
I would follow ADA's tourque specs, they are fine. I have an ADA girdled head torqued to those specs and it is fine, if you over torque it you could blow the o-rings through the top of the head, I have seen it happen. With your temp sensor, just cut your wires about an inch after where they come out of the box, and put some shrink connectors to seal them off so they don't corrode; don't disconnect them inside the box they could ground out against something.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Bolts loosen.

Plenty of builders will tell you to tighten it up.
I recommend aftermarket head bolts, by the way.

Try the std torque specs first if you'd like. But check those girdle nuts often! If they loosen up (they have for me!) then the cyl will rattle around on the cases while it's running.

aqua

the taco
Bolts loosen.

Plenty of builders will tell you to tighten it up.
I recommend aftermarket head bolts, by the way.

Try the std torque specs first if you'd like. But check those girdle nuts often! If they loosen up (they have for me!) then the cyl will rattle around on the cases while it's running.

:bigeyes: that cannot be a good thing!!! i will be sure to check mine this weekend since i am running ada's torque specs.

njfl

X-H2
Just out of curiosity, not disagreeing with 22ft lbs. on the head bolts as the standard spec, but does anyone feel like they are on the virge of stripping? I've broken 3 head bolts torquing to this spec. I know my wrench is calibrated correctly too. I have since lowered it to around 18 - 20 ft lbs.

Doug

That's surprising. I'm curious if you are using OEM head bolts, or just plain stainless. Most Ace/HD grade stainless is not designed for torquing too much. The nickel plated OEM bolts will have no problem handling this torque.

My builder recommends 20 on the head bolts and 36 on the girdle bolts:
http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/4340

Top Bottom