aftermarket wear rings (like wsm)

whats the knock on these?

does the plastic wear out real fast or is the problem performance related?

i think most opinions i have seen are negative but looking for more than "go with oem"

thanks

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
my buddy has one in his sj. they are cheap for sure. its a cheap easy replacement.

probably a little less performance than the metal ones but if its cheap you are after go for it.

my buddy has had his for four years now and is just getting to replacing it this week. who knows how long it was in there before that.

i would say they will damage easier if you suck something up, but other than that they should perform about the same.

WaHoo_1

Surf Swimmer
my buddy has one in his sj. they are cheap for sure. its a cheap easy replacement.

probably a little less performance than the metal ones but if its cheap you are after go for it.

my buddy has had his for four years now and is just getting to replacing it this week. who knows how long it was in there before that.

i would say they will damage easier if you suck something up, but other than that they should perform about the same.

*note* i see you stated for B2, not a B1! same diff.

pretty much summed it up there... should be fine for a lake B1... even a surf one for that matter. really depends how you care for your stuff (rinsing the pump area of sand before pushing out etc)...

Last edited:

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I swear by them. I think this is how they should have been done at the factory along with a plastic pump like some Seadoos have. They don't swell and they don't wear on the impeller. The one in my xl800 looks as good as it did last year when I put it in.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
I have run one in my B1 in the surf for the last 2 years with no issue. No diff in performance either. I imagine if I sucked up a rock it could do more damage to the plastic, but would prob cause less damage to the prop.

A little tip with a nylon wear ring:

It has minor scraches and groves where sand has worn it a little. Took it off and used a propane torch to it. When the plastic starts to get soft, it fills in the deeper scratches. I have done this twice when my pump was out and it looks almost new when putting it back in.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
*note* i see you stated for B2, not a B1! same diff.

pretty much summed it up there... should be fine for a lake B1... even a surf one for that matter. really depends how you care for your stuff (rinsing the pump area of sand before pushing out etc)...

I believe the b2 pump is 155 mm and the b1 is 140 mm

I have run one in my B1 in the surf for the last 2 years with no issue. No diff in performance either. I imagine if I sucked up a rock it could do more damage to the plastic, but would prob cause less damage to the prop.

A little tip with a nylon wear ring:

It has minor scraches and groves where sand has worn it a little. Took it off and used a propane torch to it. When the plastic starts to get soft, it fills in the deeper scratches. I have done this twice when my pump was out and it looks almost new when putting it back in.

good to know!

tom21

havin fun
its the same difference. metal will corrode over time- less if you don't care for it. the plastic will last unless you abuse it with sand and debris. the initial price is only a few bucks different but the second go is 40 or less.

WaHoo_1

Surf Swimmer
I believe the b2 pump is 155 mm and the b1 is 140 mm

its the same difference. metal will corrode over time- less if you don't care for it. the plastic will last unless you abuse it with sand and debris. the initial price is only a few bucks different but the second go is 40 or less.

ya, that's all i really meant Mick... wasn't talkin specs- i honestly couldn't tell ya, just the fact that it twas no diff... performance wise... i saw the b2 after i posted so I went back. btw, mick, check your pm's!

Top Bottom