airbrushing/painting

Hey I was wondering if any of you guys air brush. Where do people get there stuff from? Ive always been ok at drawing. What do you all need. Post youre work if you have any. Thanks

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Ebay. Get a cheap kit and start. You will only learn for trial and error.

I'm not sure on what you need because I don't airbrush, but I'd guess this.

Compressor
Air Line
Water seperator
Airbrush
Paint
Paint reducer

Don't get some crappy airbursh. You get what you pay for. Get you a good Sata brush or something that will last you a million years. If you plan on using it for a while you can get so you can make some money at it. I have a few Paasche brushes and they all have 4 or 5 different needles. I used to paint shirts mostly from patterns but I was working with a guy that had stuff in magazines. And a good book or magazine can teach you a bunch if you don't have somebody to coach you. A buddy of mine is still doing it and makes a decent living at it. He is now having stuff shipped from overseas painting them and sending them back. Check out his work at Perfix Custom Paint

Are you going to use it for life then go for the good brush but if you think you might not keep it up then get a cheap setup. Any compressor can be turned down to use an airbrush. But like riding a stand up you have to practice a bunch. I bought my supply's at a local art place. You can find them at almost any college town at the book store but ebay will be cheaper. There is a bunch of reading on airbrushing if you want to read on it but just get a cardboard box and start spraying.

I just looked through ebay a bit I would start with any gravity feed, dual action brush that comes with a hose and different needles. For pratice then you can buy a good one before you spray your ski. It would be great if you could find one with a cutout so you can get to the needle adjuster.
howtoairbrush
airheadairbrush

Last edited:
Hey I just thought about it but check out youtube there are videos of airbrushing lessons there.

I have been watching photo shop videos their are a bunch of teachers on youtube.
This is how to pick out an airbrush

There are several choices to make when purchasing an airbrush:

Internal vs. External Mix—Air and paint can be mixed either inside or outside the airbrush. Internal mix airbrushes mix paint and air inside; they are able to produce a much smoother and finely atomized spray pattern. External mix airbrushes mix paint and air outside the airbrush; while their spray patterns are coarser than with an internal mix airbrush, they are much easier to maintain and clean.

Double vs. Single Action—Double action airbrushes allow the user to control both air and paint flow while spraying. This design gives more control over the spray pattern. Single action airbrushes only allow control of air flow while spraying; the amount of fluid sprayed can be pre-adjusted, but the flow remains constant at that amount.

Gravity vs. Siphon Feed—Most airbrushes use either a gravity or siphon feed. Gravity feed airbrushes mount their paint containers above the gun and let gravity pull the paint down into the brush. The advantage of gravity feed is that colors can be added a few drops at a time and changed easily and immediately. Siphon feed airbrushes mount their containers on either the side or below the gun. Mounting the reservoir below allows large bottles of color to be used, removing the hassle of constantly having to add color. Mounting the reservoir on the side allows the working surface to be clearly seen, an essential feature for creating fine detail.

Needle Size—Three general needle sizes are available: fine, medium, and heavy. Fine works best with thinner mediums such as watercolors, inks, and dyes. Medium is best for more viscous mediums such as oil and acrylic paint. Heavy works well for the thickest mediums like gesso and varnish. See Replacement Needles.

Other needs:

Cleaning—It is important to clean the airbrush after each use. Paints and other mediums can clog if left to dry in the gun. Cleaning is a simple procedure, however, usually done by spraying a solvent through the system. See Cleaning Products.

Compressors—Because airbrushes need pressurized air to work, an air compressor is usually required. The compressor should supply constant yet adjustable pressure for an even spray. Different airbrushes can operate at anywhere from 1 to 100 psi, so an appropriately powered compressor should be chosen to match the needs of the airbrush. See Airbrush Compressors.

Safety—Atomized mediums can often stay suspended in air after spraying, and because the droplets are so small, they can be inhaled into the lungs. For this reason, a respirator or mask should always be worn when operating an airbrush. See Safety Products.

Frisket and Templates—For creating intricate detail and fine line separation with an airbrush, frisket and templates are indispensable. They mask areas that you don't want painted and leave open the areas that you do. Great for beginners and those learning to use an airbrush, templates and frisket are also handy tools for professionals who need exacting detail in their work. See Friskets and Templates.

Last edited:
C

CG Racing

http://www.coastairbrush.com/

forget everything else and start here. Some of the most world renowned air brush artists post in these forums and purchase equipment from here. Everything you will ever need in here.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
When I said get a cheap brush I meant $100.

You can't get much for $100 these days. And I think $100 will cover you for a while. No need to go drop hundreds more if you don't even know if you like it yet.

Top Bottom