Other American Hydro Ski

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
I remember when they were on the market. I think it was around 88/89. Didn't last, obviously. Nice that they came with Jettrim, though.

i believe there are a few pics on the vintage jetski page on facebook. I thought it looked nice on the facebook page but the pics on your page make it look like a piece of garbage. bottom deck looks awful for just about any style of riding

My uncle, Greg Nichols designed and built the original Hydroski in the late 80s. The odd looking hull is what was really innovative about the boat. Those rectangular channels actually filled with a little bit of air and the entire thing would get on plane and haul! Even with a weak sauce 440 cauna it would get up near 50 mph. Some were also sold as "kits" where you could install all of the running gear from your Kawasaki 550 and with no other changes you gained a ton of top speed. I was at an endurance race in the late 80s from Ensenada out to some island and back, and the top speed on the hydroskis was so unfair compared to the 550s it wasn't even funny. The Hydroski was also all handlaid FG, and they are way stronger and lighter than most other stand ups. In the early to mid 90s the Hydroski had a brief revival as the Nichols Watercraft Typhoon with some minor but significant changes. The front pontoons were widened a little bit, the stand up tray side walls were thinned to enable a broader standing position, the air intake was moved to the handlepull, and they were 100% carbon fiber. Nichols watercraft took the hydro hull design to the max with the sit down trident in the early 90s also. For my birthday last year my father and uncle found 3 old hydroskis that hadn't run in a long time and fixed one up for me, brought back some great memories. For a little while we even had a proprietary 800cc v4 two-stoke that was used in the Trident. That engine was developed after we had repeated supply problems.

Kimbleyiendeavorcomsellingmarch08ha.jpg

I was fortunate enough to work as a Nichols Watercraft factory Test Rider in highschool along with... get this... Jimmie Johnson (of Nascar fame), back then he was a Junior in Highschool and already the youngest winner ever of Mickey Thompsons Off Road Challenge (I think he won that when he was 15). There's a bunch of pics in my photobucket of both the Trident and the Hydroski.

http://photobucket.com/nicholswatercraft

HYDRO.jpg

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me an email.

OMFG on that V4 2 stroke!!!! EEEVVVVVVVVVIIIIILLLLL!!!!

It was designed to be modular, and to be buildable to 1200cc. There was also an EFI version that made 10hp more than the carb versions standard 100hp. Back in the early 90s that was unheard of in PWCs.

Its all about the surf!

Wow talk about a blast from the past! I remember these, like already said they came out in the late 80's early 90's. They we're basically a redesigned, sleaker looking 550. Before I discovered Oceanside, my friends and I used to jump the pilot boat wakes in the outer Port of Los Angeles Harbor. I was there the day Hydro ski did this photo shoot of the model by the red convertable towing the Hydro skis. We were excited to see a new ski on the market and wanted to ride it, but they wouldn't let us for liability purposes I suppose. That picture was taken at the Cabrillo beach boat launch.

Top Bottom