Super Jet Any suggestions on reed spacers?

Did a search & didn't find much. I know R&D makes a spacer but just wondering if anyone has other suggestions & why?

I've already done the basic handling mods & FA's. Next week I wanted to pull it down to install ADA head/35cc domes, MSD enhancer, VF3's & mod pipe & was thinking about doing the spacers at the same time. Motor is stock...no porting or big bore yet.

I have ATP angled reed spacers on all three of my motors. I don't know if it has a true performance gain but from the research I did the angled reed spacers straighten out the intake track a bit. When place between the cases and reeds you effectively pull the reeds farther away from the crank case turbulence helping to extend there life a bit. Also with that placement I believe you increase the stored charge volume of the motor.

That is what I found when asking a few questions last year. Personally I like the way it looks but hey to each there own!

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I ran one on my Dasa BB and it made the carb response seem a bit crisper than stock...however I was running oem 44's on a stock mani. May have been placebo effect though.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
I wouldn't use them for a freestyle engine unless you are running longer than stock reed cages because it will reduce your primary compression ratio which is the pressure build up inside the transfer ports.

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
I was wondering about this too. I bought a riva reed spacer a few weeks ago b/c I was going to run the vforce reeds, and was told I would go through petels without one. I just got some boyeson petals and im going to run stock cages instead, do I still really need to run the spacer?

Quick update...I was at Wamilton's last week dropping of my FPP maniofold & head pipe for him to port match & asked about reed spacers. He recommended having him port the intake instead of using a spacer & told me the porting helps even out pressure across the reeds, so they last longer in addition to getting improved performance from the port work. Although I don't have any first hand experience comparing his mod to a spacer, it made sense so that's what i ended up doing.

Also learned the VF3's I bought won't work with the OEM manifold. Luckily my guy at Riva was cool enough to let me swap them out for VF2's.

Last edited:

2HIGH4U

Princess POWER
mjh3ides;1243411 Also learned the VF3's I bought won't work with the OEM manifold. Luckily my guy at Riva was cool enough to let me swap them out for VF2's.[/QUOTE said:
just wondering why the vf3 dont work with the stock manifold ,mine works , am i missing something:confused:

2HIGH4U

Princess POWER
It would be very interesting to find out why ,i notice a lot of people run the v-force2 over the vf3 ,does anyone know why this is ,thank you

VF3 are a screwless design, They tried to make a snap together reed valve with out screws , problem is that when the pcs are snapped together they tend to put pressure on the reeds and their tips which hangs them open slightly. Usually a few hrs after installing them the lack of seating/sealing at the tips is very obvious. Not a huge deal for those that constantly blip the throttle as it tends to keep the motor from loading up, but for those that ride with a smooth throttle operation they may very well notice a hesitation.

Spacers will lengthen your intake tract, thus decreasing signal. They do nothing much more than drain your wallet. I believe the Pro-tec intake manifold is/was the shortest one on the market and thus is more desireable. On some applications you may need them for clearance issues. There are all kinds of variences to be considered, but in a nutshell, save your money. Anymore questions I beleieve Tim at Novis would be glad to inform you of his experiences with spacers as well as the different FA's.

Good luck,

Steve

Top Bottom