Super Jet Any tricks to removing flywheel and Replacing Stator

In a couple of days or as soon as as the stator gets here , I will be replacing it. Never done it before. Any tricks to removing the flywheel and replacing the stator that I should know about on a 91 stock 650 Superjet. As far as the timing, should I make a note on where the alignment mark is on the old stator plate and put the new one in exactly at the same mark?

In a couple of days or as soon as as the stator gets here , I will be replacing it. Never done it before. Any tricks to removing the flywheel and replacing the stator that I should know about on a 91 stock 650 Superjet. As far as the timing, should I make a note on where the alignment mark is on the old stator plate and put the new one in exactly at the same mark?

do you have a flywheel holder and puller? not really any tricks, there are marks on the stator and case, I would just put the new one same as the old. you have to open the ebox and disconnect the stator wires of course.

One tip I learned is that sometimes the puller will bind on the crank snout unless you use a good washer or bolt in crank between them...it then takes less ft/lbs to pop the flywheel.

I didnt ether until this year when i bought a good compressor and assembled my air tool collection.
Best thing ive done was buy an impact. Air tools kick A**!

i pulled one last friday on a 1990 sn sj that has never been taken apart. just go get a cheaper puller, tighten it up evenly so it pulls straight, make sure you have an endpiece that holds the puller up and out of the bolt hole,once you get it tight smack it with a rubber hammer a few times out away from the center and it will usually pop right off. the stator and the case both have alignment marks, just line them both up and screw down the new stator tight. when you get the old stator out look at each end of each coil's wires at soldier points for breaks, the old one might turn out to be an easy fix and serve as a back-up still. don't lose the washer or spring out of the front bendix hole in the stator cover and find and keep up with the woodruff key soon as you pop the flywheel.

"Guess I don't know about the rope trick "

you feed piece of rope throught the spark plug hole so that the piston is jammed against it and the motor can't rotate, instead of using a flywheel holder. not the best solution, but it works.

Last edited:
Fill the cylinder with oil, then turn it, then it hydrolocks it, but safely.
Then thread the bolts into the holes, don't go too far through, or you will hit the stator and cause some big problems...
Hit it with an impact gun is the easiest way, if not, go to town with a wrench, smack it a few times with a hammer and it should pop it loose.

I just pulled my flywheel on my superjet. You need a flywheel puller for sure and you can get a universal one at a local auto parts store. I bought the flywheel lock as well because I didn't want to shove a rope down the spark plug hole, kinda bush league. Using an impact wrench is great, if you plan on pulling the tank at the least. Otherwise you won't fit one in. Loosen the flywheel bolt a few turns out, while still leaving it in. Then install the puller. The puller will press against that flywheel bolt and will pop off the flywheel no problem. No breaker bar, no tapping with a rubber mallet. Easy stuff. This can all be done without pulling the motor or the gas tank. As far as putting it back on. Again the flywheel lock is nice to have. I believe the recommendation is 95 foot pounds and use red locktite on the bolt. If you don't have a torque wrench just tighten up as tight as you can or use a breaker bar for some leverage. A few things to keep in mind is to remember to put the woodruff key back in the shaft and to make sure that the spring for the bendix stays in the flywheel cover.

Top Bottom