Anybody really chop up a sqaurenose hull? Instead of a 300sx swap.

I was driving home today dreaming of jetskis when I thought about cutting a squarenose hull and doing thousands of hours of fiberglass work for fun. I thought, if the the square hull rides nice, why use a 300sx? I thought to myself: "I could just cut 10 inches off the front and 2 inches off the rear and have a rickter looking thing". But then I realized I am not anywhere near as skilled as trinity, or rickter, or yamaha, or hell...even kawasaki sadly. Then it came to me...Why cant I cut 8 inches off the bottom deck from the back, leaving the nose of the bottom deck stock. Then slide the top deck forward until the pole is almost flush with the nose, and then build a top deck nose to fit. I know a lot of you guys ride $10,000 custom hulls but that is just not in my budget. I'm fresh out of college struggling to make it in today's economy. I enjoy fiberglassing and have been trying to figure out something to work on lately.

Make sure you have good thrust and a trim nozzle first. Then move the bottom half forward 2 inches at a time. Your height and weight will determine how far to go. Chop the nose once you can almost make the backflip.

Well ill be honest, im not really interested in doing a backflip. I guess I've just always wanted a smaller ski, something with a short nose. I stood on an fx1 and used to have a 550 that was a blast. I'm just thinking what it would be like to ride one of those with my current 701 power. I think it would be a blast. I was just wondering if anybody had done anything like this. I guess now that I think about it, I'm sure most haven't because I see a lot of people on here who have beautiful $20000 skis all ready to do. Nothing wrong with that, I just cant afford it now.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
That sounds like a lot of work, and seat of the pants engineering to attempt what you are proposing. The SN topdeck is pretty much impossible to remove without destroying it. It's also designed to fit on the hull where it does. The SN deck is plastic, so it is more difficult to cut and rebuild than fiberglass.

Ripping the deck off, and bonding on a RN conversion topdeck would give you a lighter ski. Being real fiberglass, it would then be easier to modify if you wanted to do that, too.

Or, buy a FX-1. It has a 701, and it's small and light.

Top Bottom