Anyone else in the market for a turnkey built ski?

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
Hey...
just wondering if anyone else is in the market for a turn-key built ski?
What have you been thinking about and comparing?

I am in the market for a new ski, of course built.
Being at the worlds finals this year has opened me up to some ideas. Right now I am just idea/fact gathering.

I'm also looking for someone to do some work on her SXR...
Anyone have any reputable/knowledgable shops/owners on the west coast that i should consult. I'd prefer to stick to driving distance where we live Yuma AZ (south western AZ)

carbonjet

::::::::::::::::::
Hey...
just wondering if anyone else is in the market for a turn-key built ski?
What have you been thinking about and comparing?

I am in the market for a new ski, of course built.
Being at the worlds finals this year has opened me up to some ideas. Right now I am just idea/fact gathering.

I'm also looking for someone to do some work on her SXR...
Anyone have any reputable/knowledgable shops/owners on the west coast that i should consult. I'd prefer to stick to driving distance where we live Yuma AZ (south western AZ)

Trinity Composites (NEW) Matrix Hull, XScream power -or- Mark Baxter's power plants.. Would pass on the FS1 for sure..

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
JSU is no longer doing this type of work (at the moment?). At least from email contact i have recently had with JSU. I can't comment any further (mainly because i'm not that type of person, nor do i know the whole story)... Please do not take my word for any of this. I only know minor things via email and am not spreading any rumors. best to call them.

Harry is one of the runners in rebuilding her setup. I'll have to see if he is interested in setting up a trim system and some other things...

While i admire the "new" skis out.... i'm sorta leary on plunking some serious cash for new stuff.... not saying i am ruling it out, just would prefer knowing others have had them for a few seasons..

X-Metals is the front runner on a new ski for me. For many reasons. I like their quality of work, attention to the customer, and for what i consider with their talent, EXCEPTIONALLY priced. I am leaning towards them to setup an 09 SJ, just "playing" the field so to speak.

I myself am intersted in a SJ type of setup, and would truly love it if it had a wider ride tray (this is a SUBLIMINAL message to hull producers).

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Just my opinion after talking with Rick, and viewing the finish work and inquiring about the composite schedule. Not for me..

I saw the fs-1 in person and also spoke to the person responsible for the laminate schedule. This person was a top professional in laminate construction. From what I could see, the fs-1 is a very well built boat and Rick Roy as more experience with freestyle boats than any one here.

here you go...plug and play and the price is negotiable:barrel:
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=197082

carbonjet

::::::::::::::::::
I saw the fs-1 in person and also spoke to the person responsible for the laminate schedule. This person was a top professional in laminate construction. From what I could see, the fs-1 is a very well built boat and Rick Roy as more experience with freestyle boats than any one here.

here you go...plug and play and the price is negotiable:barrel:
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=197082

My opinion is from not being involved on the retail or wholesale side of things here.. So I have nothing to gain from passing along my honest opinion and knowledge.

If that composite dude is a "pro" he's got a hell of a lot to learn.. And the finish work was for chit imo on the detail stuff. I looked those ski's over for 2 days, and anyone who knows composites will tell you a 100% carbon hull is NOT the proper method, for equipment that suffers from constant hi speed impacts. Plus the carbon weave was off like a kid through it together in a hurry. To my eye that was the first thing I noticed that was really not done right on the carbon version.

It's a really neat design, I am just being honest here, and Roy is a nice guy and a genius at marketing no doubt, BUT imo the FS1 is a ways off from being perfected. I talked with him at the finals at length, he told me not to buy one if I was hard on my ski's. I was impressed with is honesty! However, that speaks volumes my friend as to the 1st run..

I've raced and own Million+ dollar offshore Skaters and MTI boats for 20 years, I know what methods are supposed to be used for the right performance and weight ratios with kevlar and carbon composites. There's only (1) person I know that does it right for pwc, and he wasn't involved with Roy..

This sport has some serious growing up to do imo.. :smashfreakB:

Last edited:

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
Virgin Waterwox Godocgo edition 09 SJ hull..... (widened tray in the rear)

team scream power plant

can you elaborate on this some more?
widen hull??

as far as aftermarket hulls, while there are some spectacular ones out, to me for my $$ i think some of them are a little to new. i like things that are time tested i guess you can say.

however i have not ridden an aftermarket hull, so i truly can not compare. I am not ruling anything out....

i do like seeing a discussion on the choices available, and with earning a dollar becoming more difficult, it's wise to spend wisely.

Trinity Composites

Lightweight Evolution
JSU is no longer doing this type of work (at the moment?). At least from email contact i have recently had with JSU. I can't comment any further (mainly because i'm not that type of person, nor do i know the whole story)... Please do not take my word for any of this. I only know minor things via email and am not spreading any rumors. best to call them.

Harry is one of the runners in rebuilding her setup. I'll have to see if he is interested in setting up a trim system and some other things...

While i admire the "new" skis out.... i'm sorta leary on plunking some serious cash for new stuff.... not saying i am ruling it out, just would prefer knowing others have had them for a few seasons..

X-Metals is the front runner on a new ski for me. For many reasons. I like their quality of work, attention to the customer, and for what i consider with their talent, EXCEPTIONALLY priced. I am leaning towards them to setup an 09 SJ, just "playing" the field so to speak.

I myself am intersted in a SJ type of setup, and would truly love it if it had a wider ride tray (this is a SUBLIMINAL message to hull producers).
Talk to Steve Webster @ Kommander 480-688-1329. He was with JSU and responsible for this kind of work.

My opinion is from not being involved on the retail or wholesale side of things here.. So I have nothing to gain from passing along my honest opinion and knowledge.

If that composite dude is a "pro" he's got a hell of a lot to learn.. And the finish work was for chit imo on the detail stuff. I looked those ski's over for 2 days, and anyone who knows composites will tell you a 100% carbon hull is NOT the proper method, for equipment that suffers from constant hi speed impacts. Plus the carbon weave was off like a kid through it together in a hurry. To my eye that was the first thing I noticed that was really not done right on the carbon version.

It's a really neat design, I am just being honest here, and Roy is a nice guy and a genius at marketing no doubt, BUT imo the FS1 is a ways off from being perfected. I talked with him at the finals at length, he told me not to buy one if I was hard on my ski's. I was impressed with is honesty! However, that speaks volumes my friend as to the 1st run..

I've raced and own Million+ dollar offshore Skaters and MTI boats for 20 years, I know what methods are supposed to be used for the right performance and weight ratios with kevlar and carbon composites. There's only (1) person I know that does it right for pwc, and he wasn't involved with Roy..

This is exactly what I heard....

This is why I ya just buy what ya can and reinforce and repair when need be if need be.

I would never pay 10k+ let alone 45k (LMAO!!!!) for a ski that is going to get beat up.

I would say spending up to or a little over what it would cost you to build a 08 is worth it. And then you just have to make it last as with any of these hulls anyway.

I've noticed in the last couple years that there have been a lot less built used skis for sale. A few years ago, there were all kinds of fully built skis for pennies on the dollar, I don't know if they're lasting longer now, or people got sick of losing all kinds of money, but I'd like to find a good custom hulled ski with a reliable motor for a good price. I can't see myself taking the hit and buying new.

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account

I got to admit, the interior of the hull need it more attention to detail. He didn't say anything about what laminate schedules they used so it hard to say what would be expected from extensive abuse by a good rider.
FYI, theirs more than 1 person that does it right ...you are just too new to this hobby of ours to really know everyone in this industry... just don't believe everything you read on the internet!

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
This is why I ya just buy what ya can and reinforce and repair when need be if need be.

I would never pay 10k+ let alone 45k (LMAO!!!!) for a ski that is going to get beat up.

I would say spending up to or a little over what it would cost you to build a 08 is worth it. And then you just have to make it last as with any of these hulls anyway.

you have my thoughts exactly, that is why i am just doing some fact finding.
the plus to being built is drop it in and go

i have enough hobbies that i tinker with, looking for one that i dont... and yeah i know.. this really isn't one for that sort of thinking.

Top Bottom