300/440/550 are 550's reliable? what to look for?

hey guys was wondering if 550 are reliable, what what should i look for when looking at a used 550?

what are they worth?? there is a guy by me willing to sell for $500 with aftermarket parts.

They eat starters!
If it runs well & has some good A/M parts $500 is fair but $375 is better :deal: , what year is it?

Last edited:
its a 83 with filter, i think head not sure, and a pipe.. pump area has grate and ride plate. also has a westcoast 5 gallon tank.. but downside it has all this orange gasket maker everywhere intake manifold carb head etc

if it gets you on the water and you can snag it for 375 get it. if not maybe save your funds and get a square nose superjet for around $1500
go ride it and then ask yourself, is it fun? is it worth the funds?

if it gets you on the water and you can snag it for 375 get it. if not maybe save your funds and get a square nose superjet for around $1500
go ride it and then ask yourself, is it fun? is it worth the funds?

never ridden stand ups, acutally have 4 skis right now lol 3 b1's and a 3 seater...

he wanted 650, and it took me awhile to get him to come down to 500 over texting after i left... he finally said 500. are these things turnkey or are they touchy they are pretty old lol

I would just start with a square nose superjet. with the 3 blasters you have tons of interchangable parts for it. I have a js550 and a superjet, the 550 was fun when i first got it, but it was free too.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
550sx"s are reliable! i have a 92 thats bone stock that runs great. we beat the shat out of it, all the time. it doesnt get a break all day when we take it out and it never skips a beat.

Last edited:

Its all about the surf!
No way should you pay $500 for an 83 550. The pre 91 550's all had cast iron cylinders and they are POS. 90% of my mechanical knowledge came from trying to keep those things running, and I know a lot! The problem with such an old ski is that when they break it will cost you twice as much as you can sell it for in a running condition just to fix it. If you do buy a 550, then don't touch anything that isn't a 550sx. The 550sx came out in 91 and had an aluminum cylinder with iron sleeves. They were way more reliable, and I wouldn't pay more than $400 for one of those. The BEST entry ski out there for a "new to the sport" rider is a Yamaha 650 Square nose Super Jet. They go for between $600-900 now. Pay the extra money, you'll be glad you did.

No way should you pay $500 for an 83 550. The pre 91 550's all had cast iron cylinders and they are POS. 90% of my mechanical knowledge came from trying to keep those things running, and I know a lot! The problem with such an old ski is that when they break it will cost you twice as much as you can sell it for in a running condition just to fix it. If you do buy a 550, then don't touch anything that isn't a 550sx. The 550sx came out in 91 and had an aluminum cylinder with iron sleeves. They were way more reliable, and I wouldn't pay more than $400 for one of those. The BEST entry ski out there for a "new to the sport" rider is a Yamaha 650 Square nose Super Jet. They go for between $600-900 now. Pay the extra money, you'll be glad you did.

I agree on this as well. I started on a 84 550 and it was a POS and I spent a bunch of $$$ to keep it going, starters, crank, seals, then I sold it. I bought a SN and haven't looked back. I also owned a 91 550sx at one time and it was way faster than the 84 and way more reliable, I ended up cracking the hull in half.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
If you have 3 blasters you have no business buying a kawi. Thats not a knock on kawis either, just makes no sense to buy something that none of your parts will work on. Trust me I've been there, you do not want to maintain 2 different brand skis with no interchangeable parts. Get a SN or FX1.

Last edited:

I agree on this as well. I started on a 84 550 and it was a POS and I spent a bunch of $$$ to keep it going, starters, crank, seals, then I sold it. I bought a SN and haven't looked back. I also owned a 91 550sx at one time and it was way faster than the 84 and way more reliable, I ended up cracking the hull in half.

If you have 3 blasters you have no business buying a kawi. Thats not a knock on kawis either, just makes no sense to buy something that none of your parts will work on. Trust me I've been there, you do not want to maintain 2 different brand skis with no interchangeable parts. Get a SN or FX1.

hey guys thanks for the input!! glad i held off on the 83 550.. i was so close to bringing it home with me on my lunch break lol...

that point about the the 91's is great!! thats def good knowledge to know, and good point on owning 2 different brands if they need work. thanks guy much appreciated

prob better to try the sn, then iv always like yamaha too, thought maybe the 550 was cheap good reliable fun, prob not the ski for me, thanks for all the info guys, BIG HELP :)

thanks for the input guys! much appreciated. I live yamaha but i really like my blasters, never ridden standups. i dont want to spend to much $$ incase i dont like it or something idk.. i finally found a 93 550sx for $550. motor is good compression 152psi each hole. might pick it up tomorrow still deciding lol thanks for the tips on the pre 91.. didnt know that.. found me a reed motor lol

mistersponge

95 FX1
:pancake:

Look a pancake.

HONESTLY, you have the itch. You want a stand up to try for cheap to mess around with. I was in your spot 4 weeks ago, I had about 5 550's lined up that I was looking at and trying to decide which one I wanted. While I was in the process of that; my minty 95 FX-1 popped up on craiglist. I called they guy and put cash in his hand within an hour. I am so glad I got a yammi, its reliable, fun...every thing a kawi isnt.

got me a 550! compression is dead even in each cylinder, not bad small chips here and there.

what should i prep or look for before i head out? Im thinking about getting a ride plate, intake grate.

Attachments

• 550.jpg
    550.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 30

cookn

Kamikaze
this weekend i just sheared the flywheel key on my 550 and it spun the flywheel nut right out the front of the flywheel cover and i found it in the bottom of the hull in front of the gas tank. i will post some pics in the carnage section as it is impressive to see haha. On that note i have found, spend as little as possible on these old skis and ride the shiat outta of it till it dies.

this weekend i just sheared the flywheel key on my 550 and it spun the flywheel nut right out the front of the flywheel cover and i found it in the bottom of the hull in front of the gas tank. i will post some pics in the carnage section as it is impressive to see haha. On that note i have found, spend as little as possible on these old skis and ride the shiat outta of it till it dies.

you got me scared haha lol..the one i got is a reed motor 93. any problems i should look for off the bat?

also how do you get the water out these things no plugs!

Last edited:

cookn

Kamikaze
haha don't be scared it could happen to anything. I was rippin on the thing too. the reed motor you have is better then the old piston ports. you will need to put a bilge pump in it to get the water out.

Top Bottom