Best Bilge Outlet Location for Blaster

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
Just wondering where people are putting theirs. I see some next to the fuel switch. Does this end up getting a little bilge water on the right mat or does the discharge clear the hull from this location? I don't want to be oiling up my mats every time I pump grimy water out of the bilge. It also seems like, given you're on the ski, the discharge could hit your leg and also end up oiling up the mats that way. Any other locations people like?? I'm trying to not turn my pretty b1 into swiss cheese over this...

:Thinkingof_:

stuntbikemike

Time to ride
use the fuel petcock hole....no cutting required and its in the perfect spot....youll get some water in the tray area depending on the bilge pump choice.....but you won't sink:wink:

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
Well, I still use the fuel switch and I'm not too keen on relocating it. I also really want to avoid the whole oily matts thing. That seems pretty conterproductive to me. The area you mentioned is where I see them most but I guess I'm wondering what other ideas people have come up with. Oh, and I've got a standard 500gph rule if it maters.

stuntbikemike

Time to ride
. I also really want to avoid the whole oily matts thing. That seems pretty conterproductive to me. .

If you are worried about oil on your mats.....I might think about just selling the blaster and getting a couch...... cause they are going to get dirty especially in the pump area w/o rear exhaust, than theres oil on the back which ends up on your gear anyways.....So trying to keep a little oil water of your mats is like trying to keep sand out from between the pump housing and the hull....Its going to get messed up...That is... if you ride it ....It stay pretty when you leave in in the garage lol.....Also your water from in your hull should not be really oily unless somthing else is going on....like exhaust leak....:raincloud:

godocgo

sport
if your willing to do the extra work, i put mine inthe top of the pump cavity. it is a pain to get in there, but the oily crap goes out the pump and not on my mats.

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
If you are worried about oil on your mats.....I might think about just selling the blaster and getting a couch...... cause they are going to get dirty especially in the pump area w/o rear exhaust, than theres oil on the back which ends up on your gear anyways.....So trying to keep a little oil water of your mats is like trying to keep sand out from between the pump housing and the hull....Its going to get messed up...That is... if you ride it ....It stay pretty when you leave in in the garage lol.....Also your water from in your hull should not be really oily unless somthing else is going on....like exhaust leak....:raincloud:

It's not about getting anything dirty mike, it's about constantly bathing something in oily water that's sole purpose on the ski is to provide traction. I am concerned about function here, not appearance.

if your willing to do the extra work, i put mine inthe top of the pump cavity. it is a pain to get in there, but the oily crap goes out the pump and not on my mats.

That's an interesting idea. I was thinking about somewhere below the waterline but I thought it may backflow into the hull when the bilge isn't on and the boat's stationary. I've got my pump out right now anyways so it really wouldn't be much more work...

Any more ideas???

:bananalama:

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
It's not about getting anything dirty mike, it's about constantly bathing something in oily water that's sole purpose on the ski is to provide traction.

Install footstraps, and that will no longer be a concern! One of the best additions I did!

As to other locations, I just finished repainting my hull, and still have not figured out a better place then where I removed the reserve knob from. Might get a little dirty water on the mats, but I shouldnt get much unless I get some failures in the engine/exhaust, but that is FAR better than having a bildge outlet at or below the watter line IMO. If the electronics fail for some reason, I want my ski to be able to float until I get towed in.

A problem I feel this causes, is you cant see the bildge pumping out the water. I like to keep track of how much water is being removed, just in case a hose or something else goes, it is nice to see if the bildge pumps the ski dry, or continues to expell water.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
as long as you loop the bilge line up above the waterline you should not get any water in there. I had one too low on my SJ when I first installed it, I cured it by doing this.
you could put it towards the front and use one of the 45 degree outlets to pump over the side.

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
you could put it towards the front and use one of the 45 degree outlets to pump over the side.

That was one of the few good locations we discussed. As long as you were willing to run the needed bildge line, you could put it in a position so it pumped water out just like a pisser, and it sure could be mounted above the water line.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
what about out the rear below the seat with a straight fitting. If you put a reducer in the fitting it would create more pressure and shoot it out farther.

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
There have been a few times I had to get back on while the pump was running. Once when I broke off a duck bill, (which I no longer use), and other times when I wanted to get out of the break, and couldnt wait for the bildge to finish.

I really like that placement, in theroy, but given the couple of times I needed to reboard with the bildge still pumping out the water, I decided against it.

Though I guess if I did a water start, I could avoid that issue all together. rofl

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
I always sideboard, even inland, so maybe the back's an option. Really tho, if that works w/o hitting the mats then so could under the seat.

I agree with wanting to be able to see it pumping. Not only does that let you know how much is getting in the hull but also how much is getting out (ie bilge failure). Up by the pissers seems to have the least potential drawbacks but I never see anyone with them up there. You'd have to run a pretty long line but I guess that's not too much of a problem.

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
why not side board? Deep water start and let the boat pull you up on the seat?

I should do that, but as I had a start/stop switch failure, and removed the throttle screw and tied off the kill switch, I was able to just jump on the back, hit start, and take off.

If it wasnt so dangerous, I would keep my ski that way. WAY easier than a side start, as I could jump up and go in under a sec.

Oh, and DC, I've gots straps waiting on my work bench right next to my new bilge pump.

Very cool. I totally love mine, and can't imagine not having them now.

have mine on the side oil is so minimal never affected grip...

Yah, never had much of an oil issue myself, and the majority of the pumped water went over the side, and only the last little bit fell on the mats, but it never affected the grip that I noticed.

DCRocks

Wavejunkies
What pump are you running dc? Straight outlet??

I am running a rule 850gph, and the outlet nozzle has a 90degree bend on the inside of the hull to help with the hose attachment, but it is straight out on the external side.

Just like these, but on the inside of the hull, the fitting has an additional 90 degree bend.

plastic%20skin%20fitting.jpg

The 90 degree bend on the inside was a real help in routing my bilge hose.

Top Bottom