SX/SXi/SXi Pro Bilge, auto or not?

I would go manual, they are cheap enough. Wiring them up to the handle bars is a bit more expensive / challenging, but I know some people just run them constantly and use an in line fuse holder as the on/off switch (hook up to ride, unhook when you're back on shore).

With that said I don't have a compelling reason to distrust an auto pump, just that it is one more thing to fail. If you pay attention to the water flow out the outlet you shouldn't run into too much trouble.

WET BOX

STL Crew
I have had no problems with my automatic rulemate 750 pump. It has been in my ski since 2006. An expensive switch on the bars is sort of a waste of money, time and physical space IMHO. I did have the same concerns before I ran one. I have NO EXPERIENCE with any other auto bilge model. Simply mount the pump and connect it to power, fused of course.

Check it out,

Later

gc4

I'd be lost without the x
I run two manual pumps. People run auto's and have no problem but I have always run into problems with auto bilges and it gets tight to fit them in an SJ. I usually flip mine on when I go out and then leave them on for the whole ride, they are fine to run dry.

I just wish the old attwood v500's were still being made. The one I have left blows my rule's away.

MikeyB

H2O-Addict®
I run two manual pumps. People run auto's and have no problem but I have always run into problems with auto bilges and it gets tight to fit them in an SJ. I usually flip mine on when I go out and then leave them on for the whole ride, they are fine to run dry.

I just wish the old attwood v500's were still being made. The one I have left blows my rule's away.

I was at autozone the other day and noticed some bilge pumps on the wall so I stopped to look at them. I've ran the rule pumps, but they were selling attwoods there. Might have to pick one up and see how they do, unless they went downhill or something?

gc4

Mike, they change the design to the Tsunami I think. It is pretty tall and air binds as bad as the rules now.

The old V500's barely, if ever, air bind. I am currently running my last V500 and a rule together. The rule will take longer to start moving water out every time and sometimes I have to flip it off and on to get it going. Not a huge deal but it can be a little annoying.

I bought a manual rule recently for $40 or $50 after I grenaded a coupler and dampener and my old one sucked up all the crap and died. Seemed inexpensive enough and I've never really had a problem with rule (except for this one that ate the crap from my dampener)

Last edited:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
any reasons why? besides fit?

Rulemate is...
1. More reliable.
2. Doesn't drain battery as much
3. Always ready and always on (if tied to a dock or whatever)
4. Less expensive
5. Easier install

gc4

any reasons why? besides fit?

Rulemate is...
1. More reliable.
2. Doesn't drain battery as much
3. Always ready and always on (if tied to a dock or whatever)
4. Less expensive
5. Easier install

I like being able to turn the bilge on exactly when I want it on. I don't want to rely on a float. Just my opinion. Neither is inherently better than the other, it depends on what you want in a bilge.

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
I have been lucky and picked up a couple parts ski with handlebar switches, really nice part. I really don't need them as I leave the bilge on the entire ride and just shut it off when I return to shore. Both of my Rule 500s move water out of the hulls very quickly. I don't do any crazy tricks as of yet, may have to run duals, we will see.

i have had no problems with the the rule auto and manual pumps but i have had problems with the attwood tsunami, rode my ski out in the bay for two weeks straight and the last day of riding the bilge stopped working because the shaft had rusted apart

Top Bottom