Custom/Hybrid BOB or Superfreak?????

Alright guys sorry if this has already been addressed. I didnt find anything in the search.
Im really interested in the input of the guys who have owned or rode both. Im trying to figure out what would be the best boat for me. I dont go to the surf, just the lake and like the ride for most of the day off and on. Looking to go all carbon.
My concerns with the BOB are it looks like it rides really nose high in compairison to the superfreak. But the hulls seem to be more reasonably priced and from what I have read more user friendly to bolt all your SJ parts into.
The carbon superfreak looks bitchin and it cost more, but appears that it wouldnt wear you out as much while riding. What would you guys suggest? Does a superfreak need a nasty motor in it to make it all come together? BOB will flip with a limited 701. Havent had the chance to ride either, but looking to get a carbon hull of somekind for flips and rolls at the lake.
Thanks guys

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
I've rode both hulls... Bob gen 1.... good hull if your only going to ride flatwater and preform backflips, rolls, etc... I wasn't a fan of the footholds ( 2 gen this area was addressed) , but your not going to wfo this hull across the lake...

The Superfreak will cost more, but is more stable IMO, you can hold it wfo across the lake, flips, rolls, it's just a great ski that can be used for everything...

Both hulls will work great with limited setups.... Big power just makes things fun!

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
Also you can PM Steve PWC he's had a few bob hulls and is now building a glass Superfreak ... Little heavier than carbon freak, but the hull was built for me to ride surf... I sold the hull to Steve and he's currently building it...

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
IMO, the carbon Superfreak will be lighter and withstand more punishment. It's an all-around good ride where the BOB isn't so all-around (IMO).
But the BOB is cheaper and looks like a lot of fun, too.

I've rode both hulls... Bob gen 1.... good hull if your only going to ride flatwater and preform backflips, rolls, etc... I wasn't a fan of the footholds ( 2 gen this area was addressed) , but your not going to wfo this hull across the lake...

The Superfreak will cost more, but is more stable IMO, you can hold it wfo across the lake, flips, rolls, it's just a great ski that can be used for everything...

Both hulls will work great with limited setups.... Big power just makes things fun!

I love my old rn raceboat, so I like to open it up every now and then. Right now Ive got a Riva 760 with MSD TL and R&D pipe. Is that going to just barely open up the potential of the ski. I know its underpowered compaired to the 1000cc you guys are throwing in your superfreaks. How much of a pain is a superfreak to setup? I've read pump bolts need to be shortend, and other odds and ends. I know you have built a couple of them. Is it a doable project for someone with average wrentching skills and little to know fiberglass skills.

butti

lone wolf
no question whatsoever. for me it would be the superfreak. i cant get over well mannered that hull is and the turning is spot on. The freak is the ultimate rec ride. I want one bad!

Waternut

Customizing addict
Superfreak > than all aftermarket hulls I've ever ridden IMO. The superfreak hulls have been around for quite a few years and there have a few different versions. Yet, the only people who are selling them used are the people who are getting another one or Berky, who was selling a demo. That alone should tell you a lot about quality of the construction and the quality of the ride.

Regardless of what people say though. Talk to both manufacturers and make sure you understand ALL the costs involved and then weigh your options. Options, extras, and the potential for accepting aftermarket parts should all play in your decision.

Last edited:

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
attachment.php

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
My Carbon freak is very light... But I think Tem is selling carbon freaks in the low 60's (hull & hood)

My glass wet layup was 83 lb hull with carbon hood 8 lbs... This was also built for surf and really over built!

Your 760 would be perfect in either hull... But I think you would enjoy it better in the freak if you like to ride fast or case boats...

I've seen lucas flip. Carbon freak with a 710cc motor!

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
Here's mybfreak wheni first got it built... Shows just how you can ride it at speed... This was with a xs1000 on a dry pipe so you can't wfo for more than a few seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
My Carbon freak is very light... But I think Tem is selling carbon freaks in the low 60's (hull & hood)

My glass wet layup was 83 lb hull with carbon hood 8 lbs... This was also built for surf and really over built!

Your 760 would be perfect in either hull... But I think you would enjoy it better in the freak if you like to ride fast or case boats...

I've seen lucas flip. Carbon freak with a 710cc motor!

So from your experiance if i was to strip down one of my old race boats engine, pump, ect and move them into a superfreak what would a ballpark build cost be ontop of the hull cost around 6k be??? Would you go with the -4.3 carbon for the lake? Can I use one of my UMI hand poles or do I need one of their carbon poles?

onlyFX-1

Jace Forest...BRAP!
A bob hull is a flatwater hull, it awesome for flatwater cause it's so small. If you want the nose to come up it will pop on up and if you want to shove the nose it's just as easy if that makes any sence. You can follow yachts but like said above it's not a WFO ski. I don't say that in the sence that it's like a fx1 where it will toss you at wide open, but for me it's cause it's such a small ski and I'm 6,2 so I can't really ride one foot infront of the other to go WFO.
On a side note a let a Daniel Martin ride my gen2 this past weekend and within 10min he was comftorable enought to flatwater flip it, and he has never flatwater flipped before.

DK-Freestyle

2011 World Champion
You really need to ride them both to get a feel for it yourself. I've never ridden a Super Freak, so I can't talk much about it. I love my BOB, but I've been riding it a lot. It WILL take time to adjust to any aftermarket hull.

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
My Carbon freak is under 58 lbs Hull and Hood footholds 3 cooling lines, trim tube... certified scale.... We really don't want to get into a weight battle...

Yes you could take your superjet apart and build a Superfreak... It's not going to be a one night build, but take your time and anyone can do it.

-4.3 is perfect IMO , guys from 160lbs to 250 lbs all rode the -4.3 and had no problems with the nose high can't get up crap..

Buckwild12

I'm moved by DASA power!
I have a heavy superfreak, 62 lb on the hull 8 lbs hood. You can see by my pic which way I decided. I have backflopped from 10-12 feet up more failed rolls than I can count, and still rock solid. Ed broke his hood on a failed backflip, and Tem said he would fix anything we broke no questions asked, your customization choices to suit exactly your style is night and day. Superfreak all the way! A bob is a good aftermarket production hull, a superfreak is a whatever you want it to be custom hull. Thats a huge difference!

I absolutely love my freak. The thing about it that impresses me most is how stable it is at speed. I can hold this thing 3/4-wfo all day long and it is just planted. I have no issues with choppy water, no problems with making a turn at speed, etc. It really is the PERFECT rec boat. I run riser bars on my xmetal pole and can ride the ski all day comfortably with no back issues, or pain. I recently sold my RN because after riding my freak, I can't see myself EVER going back. I love this ski more and more every time I ride it and I was instantly comfortable on it. It is extremely well mannered, doesn't jump nose high, stabs are effortless, rolls are easy, and well I just suck at flipping. I could go on all day, but long story short, you can't go wrong with a superfreak.

And don't mind the fact that I broke my hood, I break everything. It's what I do. :) That being said, Tem is awesome to work with and is helping me out and it's much appreciated.

Top Bottom