Super Jet bond line/fiberglass question

Okay so my 93 superjet is completely pulled apart right now because i just installed footwells and plan on painting before spring rolls around. While i am at this i figured i would fill the bond line and use the blowsion reinforce kit to reinforce the hull.... this is my first jetski and build ever so its been an experience..... do i just use resin to fill the bond line, let it dry, then fiberglass the sides....thank you.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Check out the Tech FAQ section. There is very good information on reinforcing.
The run down is this: grind ribs, fill bond line, lay glass.

just to help,
I recently reinforced 2 SN hulls.

advice, remove the ridges completely, it makes laying glass that much easier,
I went to home depot, and got a couple caulk sized tubes or 5200 marine adhesive/sealer and filled the bond line with that, using a plastic scraper to smooth it out
then i laid a single layer of 1708 biaxial cloth using epoxy resin. I ordered all my fiberglass materials through uscomposites.com
when you are ready to lay glass, cut a large piece of cloth out and lay it in the hull, then cut it to fit there, don't try and draw it out and cut it outside of the hull or it'll end up crummy, i didn't realize this until i was working on the 2nd hull.

good luck with the labor and progression in skill

thank you for the advice... when everything is done i will post pictures and everything of my entire project... it has been an experience but things are coming together.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Mix microballoons with the epoxy to fill the bond line. It is much lighter than any other option and plenty strong. MIx it in until it is a thick peanut butter consistency. I would recommend using a single piece of 12oz biax instead of 17oz also. This combo is the best strength to weight option in my opinion. You can use some paper bags to make templates to cut it out out of the hull and it will turn out fine. I've done this a few times with no issues ever with my hulls afterwards. Good luck.

Last edited:

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
Mix microballoons with the epoxy to fill the bond line. It is much lighter than any other option and plenty strong. MIx it in until it is a thick pleanut butter consistency. I would recommend using a single piece of 12oz biax instead of 17oz also. This combo is the best strength to weight option in my opinion. You can use some paper bags to make templates to cut it out out of the hull and it will turn out fine. I've done this a few times with no issues ever with my hulls afterwards. Good luck.

X2

This is how I do all my hulls as well. 5200 is way heavier than epoxy with microballoons and will take days to dry.

Also, blowsion charges $65 for two pieces of cut biax cloth. That same cloth costs about $8/yd at UScomposites.com. You only need 1-2 yards of 12oz biax for reinforcing. Save some money and cut your own glass.

Mix microballoons with the epoxy to fill the bond line. It is much lighter than any other option and plenty strong. MIx it in until it is a thick pleanut butter consistency. I would recommend using a single piece of 12oz biax instead of 17oz also. This combo is the best strength to weight option in my opinion. You can use some paper bags to make templates to cut it out out of the hull and it will turn out fine. I've done this a few times with no issues ever with my hulls afterwards. Good luck.

you also need cabosil to do this. the microballons make it light, the cabosil makes it thick

Top Bottom