Bought my First 550- Need help

Hi all,
Im from Oklahoma and bought my first stand up. Its a 1985 js550. When I bought it, the seller was able to fire it right up, but after it sat for a day, I can't get it to go. I'm thinking he put gas, or whatever, in the carb.
When I try to start it, its not really pumping fast, and its a pretty deep low sound. I've tried jumping it and it doesn't even sound close to starting.
He mentioned it might need a starter, but I don't know how trustworthy that is. I was hoping I could get some responses on ways to trouble shoot the issue so I can isolate what is going on.
I'm totally new to the jet ski world so any help would be great. I can add pics later if you think you would need them.

Thanks for the help

Squirt some premix down the carb throat and hold the throttle wide open no choke and see if it starts again. The fuel system not holding its prime is a common issue on these skis, and is most likely from leaks in the system.

After you try to start it, pull the plugs and look at them.

Look for little beads of water over the oily plug. If you see any little beads of water, then hold the starter down for 5 to 8 seconds with both plugs removed (put the plugs back into the plug wires and ground the plug against the top of the cylinder to avoid damaging your coil while you do this). Repeat 2 to 3 times. Clean plugs (spray with carb cleaner or something) and re-install.

I had some water in my engine, probably from moving it around with water in the water box. It did exactly what you described. Would not start unless I removed plugs and "aired" it out. Could also be from water in the fuel if it's old fuel.

Top Bottom