Brocks Gulf Tribute Build! **Test Ride\Problems**

Brocks Gulf Stunt Hull: 2nd Take

Well I mean this in both ways. I dont really know what im doing taking it apart and im dont know where im going to go with this build. I have major hull issues leading me to a new hull. So i might just hull transfer or maybe when money allows topdeck conversion. I dont really know! All i do know is its going to be done before spring!

OUCH! Dont know what happened here, cylinder is perfectly fine and so is the piston? This is a Riva head, are the domes replaceable?
P9110132.jpg

Basketcase:
P9110133.jpg

Im stripping my engine and will be repainting it soon!
P9110134.jpg

P9110135.jpg

P9110136.jpg

P9110137.jpg

Last edited:

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Oh my :):):), wut happened to your motors paint lol?

if the top of your piston is ok, then when you bought the ski the guy only replaced the pistons. My guess if he did not replace the dome he also did not rehone the cylinder. Whats your compression?

Off to a good start, did you pull everything this weekend?

wow that sucks. more money down the drain! oh well atleast my engine is ok. Im gona have to say no to the girdled head. Expensive as hell. i can get like my same head or another head with removable domes for more than half of the ada girdled.

Now that i look at it, it looks like i had a girdled head before (look at the cylender studs) and they just threw on another head.

Last edited:
bump, still stripping the engine. this stuff is a pain to get off in the corners. im taking the cheap way out and just aircraft stripping it even though the way to go would be bead blasting everything, but im not going to take everything apart.

been a while since ive posted anything. Finally just manned up to start working on it. I just put it off because I just didnt want to fix it. But if I kept putting it off i wont be ready for spring. Still sanding and whatnot getting ready for glass. Im not decided if I want to refoam. Because if im that far already I might as well chop off 2 inches on my hull then ill just start doing stuff I cant afford.
anyways heres some progress. Ill take some more pictures 2maro, this is when I started. Its really discouraging though, it gets worse as i go
IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'm blown away that you used paint stripper on a fully assembly engine... :shocked: Not only is it more difficult to strip and a paint a fully assembled engine but I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of the stripper eating through every gasket and seal on the engine and the starter.

A girdled head may be expensive but it does prevent you from having to replace the cylinder and pistons if the cylinder cracks. I'd highly recommend picking up at least a used girdled head.

Last edited:
I'm blown away that you used paint stripper on a fully assembly engine... :shocked: Not only is it more difficult to strip and a paint a fully assembled engine but I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of the stripper eating through every gasket and seal on the engine and the starter.

A girdled head may be expensive but it does prevent you from having to replace the cylinder and pistons if the cylinder cracks. I'd highly recommend picking up at least a used girdled head.

i planned on replacing about every gasket anyways, they were pretty iffy in the first place. Ill end up getting a new starter too, this one has seen better days.

more progress:
IMG_0043.jpg

(sorry for shadow)
IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

some people might wonder why i dont just get a new hull because it wont be worth fixing. I have ZERO fiberglass skill. We have a friend that lives around the corner that does fiberglass for a living. He said he would show me how to do everything and get this thing looking new again for just the material cost.

im really motivated to finish this, summer is coming fast, and I got nothing else to do. got some things in from being sand blasted. getting my hull ready to be repaired, and probably going to trade my bike for a rn hull soon. So idk what the engine will be going in yet
P2160004.jpg

there are a couple of members on here that can mill or machine the domes slightly larger to get rid of burring or damage. Im going to get one of them to do it instead of buying a new head since it will be cheaper.

more work done today, almost done clearning the inside to my so called "fiberglass master"s standard. just grinding the ribs really then I can go get it fixed.
then defoam\refoam, then just cosmetic stuff.
P2190214.jpg

P2190216.jpg

P2190217.jpg

itchy itchy itchy
P2190212.jpg

Last edited:

grezzmky

Suckin paint fumes
there are a couple of members on here that can mill or machine the domes slightly larger to get rid of burring or damage. Im going to get one of them to do it instead of buying a new head since it will be cheaper.

If you want to "fix" the head on the cheap you can use a roloc (the 3 inch grinder that the disc screws into the backing pad) with a 'blending wheel' or gasket remoder wheel. they hardly touch steel but on a head they do just enough to get the sharp edges off to prevent detonation. still, I run a ADA girdle head now and realy like it.

Put Baby Powder on. It will clog your pores, so it won't itch as much and not stick to you as much. Your bodywork guy knows that the top deck and hood are metton, right?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Top Bottom