CAMF steering system

Here's my CAFM *Cheap Ass Mother F'n) steering system...........

My stock steering system on my FX-1 was completely worn out. The adjustment was max'd and I even had an extra bushing in there and still no adjustment left. My bars were rocking around like they weren't even connected.........so it was time to go shopping in the scrap pile.

I took a stock steering plate and cut the pivot and bushing surface out of it and then used the core to make new inverted pivot (lock not on top instead of bottom). I turn it in the lathe and put a shoulder on it that fits into the recess in the pole.

Next was a CAFM 1" shortened turn plate. To make this, I used an old Kawaski 440 turn plate and drilled a new pivot point 1" shorter than stock and then removed the excess material, creating a new plate with slightly reduced steering stops (more on that later). The 440 steering plate is WAY small to allow for proper pivot ratio, so I made a billet extension similar to the TBM plate I run on my other ski to extend the pivot out sufficiently.

The end result uses all stock bushings and easily adjustable and smooth. So if you want a 1" shortened turn plate and better pivot system.......go dumpster diving!

Pics:

Attachments

• DSCN0259.jpg
    DSCN0259.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0262.jpg
    DSCN0262.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN0260.jpg
    DSCN0260.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0271.jpg
    DSCN0271.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0270.jpg
    DSCN0270.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I also changed out the rear steering coupler for a heim joint and re-drilled the pivot point in a little closer to the nozzle to boost the steering ratio. This made up for the reduced steering plate throw I designed into the turn plate. This helps on an FX (and 08+ superjet) since the cable doesn't have a ton of throw.

Now my steering is nice and smooth, tight, and responsive. It made me happy in the waves today.........and if you look closely, I think even Franky is smiling a little!!

Attachments

• DSCN0273.jpg
    DSCN0273.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0272.jpg
    DSCN0272.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 57
nice...im gonna make a turnplate for some straight bars(with out that little bendy thing in the middle) in my c.a.d. class at school. thatll shorten it about another inch or so.

KR

www.krlines.com
Can't believe I overlooked this! OEM style bushings, but the unit is upside down so no one has to worry about banging their leg against that long bolt! Very smart JD!

Damn, I got all those parts laying in my garage that I was gonna toss and my fx-1 can really use a new steering sytem. Thanks for the good budget mod, I just need to find somebody with a lathe around here needing a free 6 pack.

the kawi's def have simple hard to beat steering parts. they also vary model to model unlike superjet stuff thats been the same since 90 :(

Top Bottom