Can't seem to get the hang of the Superjet!

Guys,

After some advice, not sure if I am expecting to much too soon, but I have had my jet for a few months and feel I am getting nowhere fast with it.

Had sit downs skis for a fair while now and got bored of them. At first I loved the jet and seen it as a challenge, but I am now just getting frustrated! I can easily hop on and get up and bomb around and do long sweeping turns. However I can't seem to get the thing turning quickly or sharply! I just keep getting spat off. Tried the old thing of keeping the throttle pinned and it holds me on but only to spit me off the other side when I come out of the turn. It also seems to buck a lot when I start getting to any decent speed.

I have read a few threads that say they are more difficult for the larger guys, I am about 6ft 2 and 105kg's, could it just be my size or do I need to try it for a bit longer? Would say all up since I have had it I have prob put about 10hrs on it all together. Is this not long enough to master the basics?

Terry

Are you leaning into the corner at all? The harder you turn and/or the faster you are going you'll need to lean in more. It just takes practice and getting to learn how your ski responds while corning. Everyone learns at different rates, keep it up... you'll get it.

Keep riding. Your physical size has nothing to do with it. The newer hull style performs when ridden aggressively and with only 10 hours in the tray I'd imagine you're not quite there yet. There's no substitute for tray time, don't get frustrated, just ride and have fun and progression will happen.

CRJ

Hibernating
Guys,

After some advice, not sure if I am expecting to much too soon, but I have had my jet for a few months and feel I am getting nowhere fast with it.

Had sit downs skis for a fair while now and got bored of them. At first I loved the jet and seen it as a challenge, but I am now just getting frustrated! I can easily hop on and get up and bomb around and do long sweeping turns. However I can't seem to get the thing turning quickly or sharply! I just keep getting spat off. Tried the old thing of keeping the throttle pinned and it holds me on but only to spit me off the other side when I come out of the turn. It also seems to buck a lot when I start getting to any decent speed.

I have read a few threads that say they are more difficult for the larger guys, I am about 6ft 2 and 105kg's, could it just be my size or do I need to try it for a bit longer? Would say all up since I have had it I have prob put about 10hrs on it all together. Is this not long enough to master the basics?

Terry
You have to lean with the ski and adjust your body when you come out of it. Crank the bars, pin it and lay yourself over. however far the pole goes, you should too. It takes lots of practice. Slow turns are what i fand the hardest. bucking at speed means your standing too far back in the tray. ride it like a skateboard and put most of your weight at the front of the tray.

im 6'9" and 100kg, and have no trouble riding.

heres a couple shots of a corner so you can see my body position. I turn my head, bring my body over, lean over the bars and punch it. if done right it feels like your riding a rail and it should hook and do a full 180* turn in no more than 10ft of space. after enough practice you will be able to turn within the length of the ski. Im still working on that one, i get dizzy :S

IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG

10 hrs is not enough to master the basics. I have probably 150hrs in the tray, and the end of last year was just getting started on nose stabs. Im guessing your turning the bars like a sitdown and now leaning so its just tossing you off the side.

I'm close to your size too (6'7") and it really helped my quick turns to learn to ride the ski really slow in a straight line. I learned slow turns next and it was easy to speed things up from there. I know it's the opposite for a lot of people but give super slow a try.

CRJ

Hibernating
I'm close to your size too (6'7") and it really helped my quick turns to learn to ride the ski really slow in a straight line. I learned slow turns next and it was easy to speed things up from there. I know it's the opposite for a lot of people but give super slow a try.
I learned the same way. Just off idle riding and turning, going only fast enough to keep the ski's ass end from sinking and you fall off the back. master that, and you'll rail corners with throttle.

dont get frustrated man. I would say 10 hours on your first stand up is definitely not enough time to master sharp cornering. The newer SJ's hook up far better than the older ones and corner much better, but as it was mentioned they need to be ridden more aggressively. That doesnt necessarily mean they have to be ridden faster, it just means you really have to lay into the turns. It sounds like when you are keeping the throttle pinned you have it pinned into the turn and all through the turn? Is that what you mean? Try cutting way back on the throttle right before the turn (like a split second), start the turn and lean into it, and then pin it half way through or near the end of the turn and see what happens. also be cognitive of where your shoulders and head are facing. they should face the same direction as the turn and if they dont you will always get thrown. It sounds obvious, but its amazing how many people dont pay attention to this when they are first learning, myself included.

Try to put more if your weight over the pole bracket. (Where the pole pivots) and try to keep your weight centered there Also try looking where you want to go instead of at the nose or water right in front of the ski

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first started riding I found that if you just look where you want to go your body does the rest of the work for you if you don't fight it.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Dude 10 hours is nothing. Within the first two weeks I started riding I probably was over 10 hours of ride time, and I definitely wasn't able to high speed turn.. I only had my left side turns decent.
It took a few hours of riding just to get somewhat decent at 15+ mph ish somewhat sharp turns. It consisted alot of me getting completely flown off. The couple times I first started riding I didn't really try to make a turn to the right since it felt so unnatural. A full season later(50+ hours) and I was entirely comfortable with my left turns at all speeds and my i was pretty damn comfortable with my fast right turns too. However by then I spent most of my time working on nosestabs..
You just need tray time man. You'll get it, just keep with it! When in doubt, throttle out and lean in to the turn!!

Don't ride with two feet in the back of the tray....not sure if you do or don't ...but don't....you'll have a lot more Control over the ski ...1 foot forward at all times! My two sense....good luck and have fun.

Reactions: CRJ

550headache

tobacco grower
I've been riding for 10 years plus and am still learning. find someone with a FX1 around you and ride that. when you get back on your superjet you will feel like a pro!

Seriously, just like everyone else said: Tray time, Tray time,Tray time! you will get it. Are you sore after riding?

i came off a kawi sx the sj sticks like glue u can leane it way over and sticks 10 hrs aint poop u need way more time than that! i have lots of time on kawis this is my first sj and i have 20 hrs on it and still trying to figure it out! keep on working on it !u will get it

Top Bottom