SXR Carb gasket question......?

cmeripper26

Ripper26
im fresh out of carb gaskets except used ones. i got the oem ones which are metal with a coating of some sort.... can i strip these to bare metal and use them with a bead of permatex rtv on the both sides coating each side of the gasket or can i use them bare on m sxr manifold and carb? just not sure about the coating whether or not the metal gasket has to have that coating?

that rtv is not gas resistant! It will wash out. Sometimes, paper gaskets if they are thin will suck in. A lot of racers have just simply left the gaskets out. The small leakage is either irrelevant or can be adjusted with the mixture screws.

tom21

havin fun
I think the copper spray is not fuel resistant either I use the red spray permatex that is usually right next to the copper spray at the autoparts store.

red for intake side, copper for exhaust side.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I think the copper spray is not fuel resistant either I use the red spray permatex that is usually right next to the copper spray at the autoparts store.

red for intake side, copper for exhaust side.

If this was the manfiold to case gasket then I would agree. But the carb to manifold is fine. Plus once the carb is thightened down there really is not much room for any gas to contaminate it coating, all you are doing is using it to create a seal on the metal to fill any voids.

Top Bottom