carb help

i need some help, i have tried adjusting low and high screws but nothing seems to improve and my ski continues to bog on both high and low end power.
its a 701 with b- pipe, milled (61x/61x) head, msd enhancer, and a 48mm Riva Powerbomb
main- 130
Pilot- 60
i think my jets are off but idk where to go with getting new jets. any ideas?? anyone with this setup and can tell me their jet sizes?

thanks for anyhelp

Last edited:
powerbombs are very hard to tune i never could get the ones i had dialed in. i know the older ones need restricters in the return line. i think everything needs to be perfect for them to work right.

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
What!
Is that a typo? Did you say a 60 low jet??
You should be at least a 125-145 low jet!

P.S. If you don't know much about carb tuning, sell the Riva powerbomb and get you a retail 46mm SBN!

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
Is it in good condition? Maybe get a Mikuni kit for it and I can give you a starting point with a total jetting setup and run that and see where you are with the ski performing. If that's not an option, we could sell you a new SBN 46 and pre-jet it so its close with some fine tuning?

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
Is it is good condition? Maybe get a Mikuni kit for it and I could give you some jetting spec's to see where you are with the ski performing. If that's not an option, we could sell you a new SBN 46 pre-jetted close for your ski so you would just have to fine tune?

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
Is it is good condition? Maybe get a Mikuni kit for it and I could give you some jetting spec's to see where you are with the ski performing. If that's not an option, we could sell you a new SBN 46 pre-jetted close for your ski so you would just have to fine tune?

I didn't see the posting come up, thought I lost it!
So I tried to remember exactly what I said...so basically a double post!

95FX1

brrrrraaaaaappppppp
i have been learning to tune my 2 skis for a while now....

ur gonna prolly need a smaller low jet....

GO to the SBT site and watch the carb cleaning video first to see what u can remove and clean!!

but this is what i have done with some good results

low speed adjuster setting.....turn ur idle up to a fast idle....then adjust the low speed with the ski running in the water...either strapped to the trailer still or i run the ski in a few feet of water while pushed up to the dock running....lets me adjust it with the lid off pretty nicely....so with high idle find the spot where the motor runs at its best...sweet spot....then set it about a 1/8 fatter and return the idle back down....that should be fine....if still boggs at low speeds then r jet is to large

high speed setting.....start with the high speed screw at 3 turns out....
then ride and adjust it in slowly till it stops bogging and ur good!
should take some time to get it right

if high speed screw is over 2 turns when it is running good then jet is to small

after reading many many many carb writeups....this one works for a new carb tuner like me

GD LK

Last edited:

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
Just a basic start point would be 135 high, 125 low 2.3 needle valve with a 95 gram spring set the low adjuster to 2 1/2 turns on a stock OEM fine threaded adjuster, 1 turn on the high adjuster.
Should be on the rich side and give you a baseline. Use a Jetworks flow control valve for stinger waterline feed with these spec's. You can always up the popoff later if need be with a 2.0 needle valve.

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
Just a basic start point would be 135 high, 125 low 2.3 needle valve with a 95 gram spring set the low adjuster to 2 1/2 turns on a stock OEM fine threaded adjuster, 1 turn on the high adjuster.
Should be on the rich side and give you a baseline. Use a Jetworks flow control valve for stinger waterline feed with these spec's. You can always up the popoff later if need be with a 2.0 needle valve.

I thought that you replied you have a stock 44mm oem carb? And were going to get a kit for it? Sorry for you being confused, these spec's are for the OEM 44mm carb not the aftermarket Riva Powerbomb.
They use an aftermarket carb to build it into a Powerbomb so the carb low adjuster is the course threaded adjuster so the low adjuster would be about 1 to 1 1/4 turns less on a aftermarket carb not like the OEM fine threaded carb.
Chuck

Top Bottom