Super Jet Carb/Idle Issue

I just swapped out carbs on my 90 sn so I could replace a choke with a primer. Idle screw is turned all the way out but the engine revs like at full throttle. Is this a tuning issue or is there something wrong with the carb? I'm running a 61x/6n6 with b-pipe and Mikuni single 44.

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
Removing choke plates can cause the ski to run lean

How its above the throttle plate the trottle plate only lets it a certain amount of air I thought same thing till jetmaniac said anything above the plate doesnt matter everything below does

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
I just swapped out carbs on my 90 sn so I could replace a choke with a primer. Idle screw is turned all the way out but the engine revs like at full throttle. Is this a tuning issue or is there something wrong with the carb? I'm running a 61x/6n6 with b-pipe and Mikuni single 44.

Check the gasket between carb and manifold I had that problem once

I checked to see if the issue was air in the fuel lines from taking everything apart and didn't see any bubbles. The engine ran fine before I swapped carbs. I put the old carb back on and the engine still ran away. The only work I did between the engine running fine with the old carb and now is swapping out carbs and re-running fuel lines.

Since the engine now runs away with the original carb on, where is the best place to start looking for a bad seal? Do I have to do a full leakdown test?

btmboards

Brett
good reading in the link matt posted. check the intake gaskets mainly the carb gaskets to see if there is an air leak. also make sure that your throttle cable isnt stuck and holding it at wide open throttle

I went through Matt's post and checked all gaskets that I removed when I swapped carbs. The engine runs away without the throttle cable attached so the flap is completely closed. Based on Matt's link, it sounds like there's a leakdown in my future. I did a visual check of all other gaskets mentioned and everything looked good. I wouldn't think a gasket that I haven't messed with would just suddenly go bad. Is it common for base gaskets and crank gaskets to just go bad without messing with them?

btmboards

Brett
no its not common for then to randomly go bad. make sure you have both carb gaskets in. ive seen that happen when someone only put one it. there should be one between the intake and the cable mount plate and another between the plate and the carb. then take your FA off hit the start button and take your hand and cap the top of your carb if air cant get past your hand but it still runs then you definily got a leak.

JamesG

Site Supporter
How its above the throttle plate the trottle plate only lets it a certain amount of air I thought same thing till jetmaniac said anything above the plate doesnt matter everything below does

I'm 99% sure that is what the factory pipe instructions say for the wetpipe. And my engine ran lean after removing choke plates. Not sure if that caused it, but it's something to think about.

Fro Diesel

creative control
probably a stupid question but did you sync the new crbs wen u installed them

Only because this is a thread about a single 44

I like what btm says to try.
and alwaYs use two new gaskets with a single carb. It is so easy to make them quick.

sent from Fro Diesel using tapatalk.

Thanks for the input everyone. Replaced the gaskets and everything ran great. I'll probably be out on Lake Michigan this weekend if anyone is heading out there.

Top Bottom