Super Jet carbon fiber wrap on superjet hood

TOMtoledo

Tommy Meyers
there is a thread where someone wrapped his hood and nose piece, cant remember whos is was but if i find it ill post it

Wow, that looks fairly easy. I might have to give this a try sometime. What type of epoxy is used and where can you get it? Im guessing us composites has it but i dont know what to look for.

any questions pm me. I do alot of cf and kevlar work....

All done in my shop.
DSCF9142.jpg

Last edited:
any questions pm me. I do alot of cf and kevlar work....

All done in my shop.
DSCF9142.jpg

On the bottom of that pole is that the OEM plastic cover just with a layer of carbon over it? If so how well does the epoxy bond to the plasitc? Id LOVE to wrap my fx1s bracket cover things like that instead of spray painting them

also can someone explain what resins to use for the base coat and clear? I looked over us composites products and was a bit confused

and do i need both a black base coat and a clear or can i just get a clear epoxy and some black coloring to cut the cost down. Id love to try this out but it depends on how much it will cost.

Last edited:
On the bottom of that pole is that the OEM plastic cover just with a layer of carbon over it? If so how well does the epoxy bond to the plasitc? Id LOVE to wrap my fx1s bracket cover things like that instead of spray painting them

also can someone explain what resins to use for the base coat and clear? I looked over us composites products and was a bit confused

and do i need both a black base coat and a clear or can i just get a clear epoxy and some black coloring to cut the cost down. Id love to try this out but it depends on how much it will cost.

yes oem pole cover wrapped in carbon fiber with epoxy resin. bond is very very strong if prepped right, usually on plastic 80 grit to 100 grit and slathered in acetone. epoxy resins are very strong and bond to almost anything if prepped right. epoxy does not have uv pertection like some polyester or vinylester resins do ( surfboard resin, weaker than epoxy. ) so a good automotive clear is needed to keep that carbon looking crispy for years to come! No dye is needed because this is carbon fiber! If your looking at us composites just go with the medium hardner thin epoxy resin kit.( cures at a minimum of 65-70 degrees ) Its all i have ever used and it has worked great and is a great price compared to other places. hope this helps.

Last edited:

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
If it's a stock hood at least chop it/lower/lighten it there are some threads of guys doing that to there hoods, it's not hard just takes time

yes oem pole cover wrapped in carbon fiber with epoxy resin. bond is very very strong if prepped right, usually on plastic 80 grit to 100 grit and slathered in acetone. epoxy resins are very strong and bond to almost anything if prepped right. epoxy does not have uv pertection like some polyester or vinylester resins do ( surfboard resin, weaker than epoxy. ) so a good automotive clear is needed to keep that carbon looking crispy for years to come! No dye is needed because this is carbon fiber! If your looking at us composites just go with the medium hardner thin epoxy resin kit.( cures at a minimum of 65-70 degrees ) Its all i have ever used and it has worked great and is a great price compared to other places. hope this helps.

Is that resin clear? It looks colored in the pic but im not sure how it cures. And the die i was talking about was for the base coat that the video shows. Also how bad will the carbon look if i dont clear coat it and just do like the video and use rubbing compound?? I dont really have a decent paint sprayer but the sanding and buffing looks like something i can do easily and cheap

Last edited:

swapmeet

Brotastic
If you're doing it for cosmetic reasons, why not get a vinyl wrap with a carbon fiber pattern? If its for strength, carry on.

Those wraps never look right IMO. I wanted to do something similar to this for cosmetic reasons on my hull but decided it wasn't worth the effort. I've wrapped my pole, and learned a lot the hard way on that.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Is that resin clear? It looks colored in the pic but im not sure how it cures. And the die i was talking about was for the base coat that the video shows. Also how bad will the carbon look if i dont clear coat it and just do like the video and use rubbing compound?? I dont really have a decent paint sprayer but the sanding and buffing looks like something i can do easily and cheap
A UV clear is absolutely needed! Carbon fiber is very sun sensitive and will get brittle and discolored over time. Resin will yellow over time without the UV. If you take the time to wrap it you want it to look good for awhile right..? Dont worry about the spray gun.... just run to kragens and get some rattle can clear coat that has UV in it.... The pic i posted up above is all done with a rattle can clear! I'm repainting my ski now so I will go back over with a clear from a gun but if you prep the surface and lay it on thick the rattle can will be good...NO RUBBING COMPOUND on the epoxy! It gets stuck in all the tiny lil air bubble pockets that you cant see until you smear the compound on and its a bitch to get out before clear....! Just fine sand the epoxy and clear the $hit outta it.... It will look all cloudy after the sanding but wipe it down with some acetone and the clear will make it nice and crispy!

Buckwild12

I'm moved by DASA power!
If you are just doing it for looks they have carbon fiber vinyl wrap that I cut graphics for my new carbon superfreak from. It looks and feels like the real deal and is peel and stick. a way cheaper easy idea if it's just for looks.

If you are just doing it for looks they have carbon fiber vinyl wrap that I cut graphics for my new carbon superfreak from. It looks and feels like the real deal and is peel and stick. a way cheaper easy idea if it's just for looks.

Completely disagree! A sticker does not do CF any justice....the way real CF looks in the sun is just amazing, a sticker cannot duplicate that look at all....

Top Bottom