carnage after BBP

shougrider

RIP 7/28/2014
Well I gave my x-2 a good looking over after riding at the surf this weekend and so far have discovered. The right side is cracked badly. Anyone have good pics of reinforced? I somehow broke the hood hinge?mount in half. My foot straps tore the rubber that I was using. And the bolt in the back of the scoop grate disappeared. I am amazed that I did not notice any of this while I was actually riding. I thought she was running exceptionally well.

cattledog

EH TEAM RACING
Well I gave my x-2 a good looking over after riding at the surf this weekend and so far have discovered. The right side is cracked badly. Anyone have good pics of reinforced? I somehow broke the hood hinge?mount in half. My foot straps tore the rubber that I was using. And the bolt in the back of the scoop grate disappeared. I am amazed that I did not notice any of this while I was actually riding. I thought she was running exceptionally well.
no wonder i have seen videos of you riding crabs x2, you sure do good rolls and stabs

shougrider

RIP 7/28/2014
I think I should have just rode crabs this time. But his steering broke as well so I probably would not have been any better off. I think I am going to come up with a brace that can go from side to side just under the hood line but still in front of the motor.

I think I should have just rode crabs this time. But his steering broke as well so I probably would not have been any better off. I think I am going to come up with a brace that can go from side to side just under the hood line but still in front of the motor.

I was thinking the same thing.. I destroy my hull rolling. Now that I'm making it around more often than not, I think I could keep a hull in better shape. However the 3,000 failed attempts busted the sides of my ski also.
I reinforced the besjesus out of my ski, still busted the sides and hood eventually. Next time, I'll reinforce it WAYYYY more. I don't care if I add 10 pounds to the hull as long as it doesn't bust to pieces.
The cross hull brace is something I was thinking about myself. If I could make that, with an adjustment in the middle just to keep tension outwards on both sides, maybe I wouldn't flex the lip so bad on landings.

hey will did you get x2 glassed up again

Unfortunately, no. I don't have the spare cash to order any epoxy resin right now, as I've been off work for a couple weeks. I did the next best thing, and sanded everything very well, then I put a think coating of 5200 fast cure all along the entire break top and bottom on the outside. I've ridden hard several times since, and it's holding water out just fine.
As soon as I get back to work for a week or two I'll be doing it properly. I just couldn't stand to wait another couple weeks before hitting the water again.

madscientist

chilling with these guys.
pics

2layers of mat
1 layer of perforated billet aluminmum 1/32"
2 layers of mat

blue pigment :wiggle:

Attachments

• x2 fire 018.jpg
    x2 fire 018.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 43
  • x2 fire 017.jpg
    x2 fire 017.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 35
  • x2 fire 019.jpg
    x2 fire 019.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 38
pics

2layers of mat
1 layer of perforated billet aluminmum 1/32"
2 layers of mat

blue pigment :wiggle:
Wow, I would have totally destroyed that by now. My hull was reinforced WAY more, and I still busted the hell out of it. My problem wasn't thickness of reinforcement, it was location. I didn't stretch it far enough into the back or into the nose, and should have come all the way up over the hood seal lip.

it's the aluminmum that is the key to mine. kind of like the old 550 hull braces that attach to the out side just sandwhiched between epoxy and cloth

I see. I think next time I'll be doing 2 layers of biax, and if I can swing it I want to go over EVERYTHING inside with carbon fiber. I see a lot of surf boats done this way, and they beat the living hell out of them and don't have the cracks I do. I can't wait to build another hull, just waiting on the cash at this point.

shougrider

RIP 7/28/2014
did you leave all the ribs? I cant really tell. I tried looking at other builds but it is taking too much time. I think I am going to grind off all the ribs and use some good epoxy resing and carbon/glass mat.

also mine broke right at the ignition coil or whatever it is that is mounted on the side there. It split and popped off that mounting tab that is epoxied on there. Right where you have none of that blue stuff.

Last edited:

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
did you leave all the ribs? I cant really tell. I tried looking at other builds but it is taking too much time. I think I am going to grind off all the ribs and use some good epoxy resing and carbon/glass mat.
Here, I left them.

Attachments

• 107_4991.jpg
    107_4991.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 107_4990.jpg
    107_4990.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom