CF Reinforcement on the outside?

shady0667

Newbie but listens well
I am planning on building up the new hull I picked up.

I wanna do CF on the outside of the ski. This is mostly for cosmetic. But I got an empty hull so I planned on reinforcing it.

If I just say the hell with it and CF the outside of the whole hull do I need to do any reinforcement on the inside?

Anybody got any links to such a crazy idea? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

shady0667

Newbie but listens well
Well what does cf on the outside so exactly?? I used it on motorcycle fairings for track days because of it's abrasion resistant properties. I used carbon Kevlar on the inside of the fairings for strength. I do love the look of cf but it has to have some strengthening value was well

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
i have no doubt that it wouldn't help if you put it on the outside. but i have read alot of builds on this site and most everyone reinforces on the inside. cf is a good choice by all means and looks great. i just really think you would get more out of your money reinforcing the inside. but it wouldn't be the first time i have been wrong.

read up on some of the builds, i find them entertaining and have learned alot from them.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
One of the main areas you need to reinforce is the bondline, and the only way to do that is to layer reinforcement across the bondline from the inside. CF on the outside would add some strength, but you'd still have a big vulnerability.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Well what does cf on the outside so exactly?? I used it on motorcycle fairings for track days because of it's abrasion resistant properties. I used carbon Kevlar on the inside of the fairings for strength. I do love the look of cf but it has to have some strengthening value was well

Carbon it not very abrasion resistant, and I wouldn't really say that kevlar is strong in comparison, either. Kevlar is tough,flexible, and fairly resistant to abrasion, while carbon's strength is in it's rigidity. Adding a single cosmetic layer of carbon (thin enough to conform to the contours of the ski) will add more weight than strength.

shady0667

Newbie but listens well
Carbon it not very abrasion resistant, and I wouldn't really say that kevlar is strong in comparison, either. Kevlar is tough,flexible, and fairly resistant to abrasion, while carbon's strength is in it's rigidity. Adding a single cosmetic layer of carbon (thin enough to conform to the contours of the ski) will add more weight than strength.

Well I will have to do more research on these materials. I build a set of motorcycle fairings. You could hold them up to a light and see totally thru them.. Total junk!

We put down a layer of CF on the outside and then some glass over it. Then strips of really tough think carbon kevlar. They were unbreakable! I put them down almost 20 times and they never cracked.. just wore thru the outer glass and we would repair it. I sold them for alot more than I paid for them when I unloaded my bike. I am curious if it was the added fiberglass that saved my bottom vs. the carbon kevlar and carbon fiber layers.

Am I comparing apples and oranges when I use this example (learned lesson) on jet skis.

I still plan on internal reinforcement. For the outside I wanted the whole tail section up to a 1/4 of the handpole to be carbon fiber and then the front would be lambo green.

Would I be better off with some sort wrap on the tail that looks like sweet sweet carbon fiber. Then paint the front green as planned and then put a nice layer of clearcoat over the wrap and the green?

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Top Bottom