Cheap beach cart possibility

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
It's affordable, it's light, it has high flotation tires , it has 350 lb weight capacity and it breaks down into pieces, I am thinking add a handle with a slip joint , bolt it on with U -bolts and you would have a fairly decent beach cart

WFO Speedracer

Interesting. Give her a go let us know how it works out.
I won't be riding at the beach after this hip replacement and I already have three tote a skis here ,so this is a project for someone else if the shoe fits wear it if it doesn't throw it back in the closet.

WFO Speedracer

I would add some cross bars to give the rails some support, pic shows some straps, but would not be comfortable. Not a bad idea......
It looks like a good start to a beach cart, if I was doing it I would flip the square axle tube so it wouldn't hold sand etc , then weld those pieces held on with TEE nuts to it, it looks like the top pieces are just plastic, replace that with some welded aluminum tubing of the same size and reuse the foam padding , weld it all up, add a tongue that turns up with a handlebar and I think you would have a really nice cart.

WFO Speedracer

I think the tires are too small. If it was a short trip in the sand would be fine, but more then 20-30 yards in soft sand you are going to want some bigger wheels.
Those are 12 inch tires so you may have a point but they are like ATV tires, they are 12" at 3 psi, bump up the pressure and they get much bigger and they roll a lot easier , when a non running ATV comes in here the first thing I do is jack up the tire pressure so you can actually push or pull it to put it away , but I get the tote a ski I made has Suzuki LT 125 axles and front tires those are 20 x 7 x 8 , it moves stuff around pretty well.

Stop it, get a Factory Zero, they are only a grand or search for a used AC dolly. I actually like the AC dolly best but the Factory Zero has a nice angled bar, helps when your ski is on the sand.

WFO Speedracer

Use caster bean oil 40:1 , I do not know if you know this or not but not everyone wants to drop over a grand on a damn beach cart.

If money grew on trees I would get a jetlift. and call it a day.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Use caster bean oil 40:1 , I do not know if you know this or not but not everyone wants to drop over a grand on a damn beach cart.

If money grew on trees I would get a jetlift. and call it a day.
JetLift by far is the worse of the totes. They are heavy as hell. I had a JL hitch hauler and dreaded just taking it from the shop to my truck. The Ferrell is good if you are at the beach and getting ski off the ground by yourself. But they sit lower, not as easy to use with transferring a ski to a Hitch Hauler or Shop Stand. This is where the FZ works really well. They both have their place.

Trying to be cheap in life. Almost ALWAYS costs more money and effort than just bucking up in the beginning.

"If you need something, and don't buy it, your paying for it, but don't have it"

I didn't want to pay the big bucks on a prebuilt one, so I made plans and built two so far for myself. I'm able to get a reasonable price on aluminum stock through work, but the total for all the materials still comes out to about $350 if you're using the large 21" smooth tires. Luckily it only takes a couple slow days at work to cut and weld them together. You can get the price down to $275 if you get 18" tires. Bonus is you've got more durable tires and tubes, and steel rims with bearings that won't shatter when you bounce off of something hard.

IMG_20230524_160929789.jpg

WFO Speedracer

Trying to be cheap in life. Almost ALWAYS costs more money and effort than just bucking up in the beginning.

"If you need something, and don't buy it, your paying for it, but don't have it"
I will counter that with this :
Those that can build , those that can't buy

Who said that , I did.

Joe schuit , nice work on the cart , looks great.

I didn't want to pay the big bucks on a prebuilt one, so I made plans and built two so far for myself. I'm able to get a reasonable price on aluminum stock through work, but the total for all the materials still comes out to about $350 if you're using the large 21" smooth tires. Luckily it only takes a couple slow days at work to cut and weld them together. You can get the price down to $275 if you get 18" tires. Bonus is you've got more durable tires and tubes, and steel rims with bearings that won't shatter when you bounce off of something hard.

View attachment 444155
Dang that is nice! I wish I knew how to weld.

I have a set of those tires and am trying to figure out how to use them.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
JetLift by far is the worse of the totes. They are heavy as hell. I had a JL hitch hauler and dreaded just taking it from the shop to my truck. The Ferrell is good if you are at the beach and getting ski off the ground by yourself. But they sit lower, not as easy to use with transferring a ski to a Hitch Hauler or Shop Stand. This is where the FZ works really well. They both have their place.
The JetLift is aluminum. The tires are most of the weight. How much LESS do the others weigh? Post numbers

I've had a Jet Lift for 10 years. Only issues have been lack of maintenance by me.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
The JetLift is aluminum. The tires are most of the weight. How much LESS do the others weigh? Post numbers

I've had a Jet Lift for 10 years. Only issues have been lack of maintenance by me.
Guess I was just voicing my opinion. Have moved a few around. They are much heavier than the FZ. If I can get my Shop Stand repaired I will try and weigh it. That is an interesting question!

WFO Speedracer

Dang that is nice! I wish I knew how to weld.

I have a set of those tires and am trying to figure out how to use them.
If all the stars line up I will get my tig setup going this year , everyone has said you won't be able to just start tig welding aluminum .

I say never let other people impose their limitations on you , God knows they will constantly try saying this or that can't be done , thing is no one else on this Earth has any idea what you are capable of , just because they can't or won't does not mean the same applies to you..

You can quote me on that one .

Top Bottom