Clearance questions on rings!

bign1514

"Rock-Man"
I have a cycl. that was bored out to 82mm using Pro-x pistons. Could I switch to a 82mm wisco pistons? Would the clearance be totally different or pretty close?

Whats the best way to measure clearance?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have a cycl. that was bored out to 82mm using Pro-x pistons. Could I switch to a 82mm wisco pistons? Would the clearance be totally different or pretty close?

Whats the best way to measure clearance?

Thanks for any help!

Totally different and will sieze in about 30 sec.Carry the pistons and cylinders to a reputable shop and have them size the bore to the pistons for you using the wiseco reccomended clearances.

Last edited:
when i did my top end i talked to someone at wiseco, and was told the clearance is built into the piston size. for instance an 85mm wiseco piston will actually measure ( i think ) .004 of an inch smaller, and when i measured the pistons this was the case. but you should always measure your piston and match your bore accordingly. sometimes wiseco will also recommend a little more clearance depending on the amount of heat your engine my generate.

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
On the newer Wiseco pistons they are better at having more clearance built into the piston like Surfer said, wedo is also right as this can go either way, depending on how modified the engine package is, stock for stock the swap probably be fine, but for modified engines you should have the clearance checked and you may need to add more clearance for the extra heat from making power. Modified engines should start @ .005 for Wiseco pistons in a superjet

Top Bottom