Other Cold water break in

I was wondering what percautions need to be taken to break in my new 2013 sj in cold water. by cold water i mean 35-40 degrees. I cant bring myself to wait until may for the water to warm up. a lake 4 hours south of me is ice free with temps at 32 degrees. i have to wait another 3 weeks or so for my registration to be back but i doubt the lake will warm more than about 8 degrees by then. I have the appropriate cold water gear so that isnt an issue. If i let the ski warm up at the dock for about 15 minutes will i be good to ride? I dont want the engine to freeze up or anything. Also , yamaha recommends mixing the oil at 25-1 for the first two tanks. Should i modify this amount at all for colder water? Thanks

djraider700

lol wut?
I'd start it in the water. Wouldn't want to warm it up first and then shock it with instant cold water through the cooling system. I did 25:1 for a few tanks and just putted around under half throttle when I broke mine in. That was in about 40-45 degree water.

I'd start it in the water. Wouldn't want to warm it up first and then shock it with instant cold water through the cooling system. I did 25:1 for a few tanks and just putted around under half throttle when I broke mine in. That was in about 40-45 degree water.

Oh ya sorry i meant that i would warm it up in the water just by the dock. did you ride around at half throttle for two entire tanks? they told me the break in took roughly two tanks, but i dont know if i can have that kind of self control. lol. thats like two whole days of riding! ha ha but if thats what i have to do that's what i'll do.

djraider700

lol wut?
Yeah i kept it under a quarter throttle for about 10 minutes or so then under half for the 2 tanks at 25:1. Stopped every half hour to let it cool completely. I believe it's pretty close to what Yamaha recommends in the owners manual. I run 40:1 ratio now.

You're right, it is hard to keep yourself tame during the break-in lol.

Top Bottom