Confused about painting?

I feel kinda stupid asking this.

But I am wanting to paint the bottom of my hull and there are scratches everywhere. So if i paint it will there still be the scratch marks? Or do I have to fill them in? Or will I have to spray a bunch of coats, then sand it smooth?

Sorry for the complete newb painting questions. I'm learning:woot:

Zoo105.jpg

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
I just painted mine this last week, well my friend did, but I did all the prep. He primed it with a good automotive primer for use on fiberglass. He builds street rods, so he has all the good stuff. It actually filled in 99% of the scraches/gouges. I DA'd it before painting it and it turned out pretty smooth. We could've gone another coat of primer after that, but what was the point? Its going to get scratched up again anyway. It looks good for the bottom... The topside will be all the work.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Primer can only fill so much. So anything more than light scratching will show. You can either fill them, sand them out, or clean them and paint away. Anyway you do it, the paint should cover everything with the same thickness. When I painted my last ski, I sanded pretty much everything out prior to painting but I didn't have anything really deep that would've compromised the strength of the hull.

Attachments

• 000_0724.jpg
    000_0724.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 000_0727.jpg
    000_0727.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 44

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
ya they are in now.. once I am done with painting I will get it turfed and post some pics for ya.. you get tom21's?? It will be 3 weeks probably now before I get to that point. I am heading to Idaho saturday for a week..

Oh and i scuffed the hull before priming so I didnt remove any unneccessary material..

I'm actually making my own. A simple process. I made the shape of my foot on some cardboard. Traced it on the hull. Cut it out. Filled the area's in with 2-part foam (already had it) then started laying fiberglass all around the foam. It basically done. I just need to smooth a couple things out and maybe do a couple more layers.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
I will ask my friend what the primer was and the mix again. I forget now. It is automotive made for fiberglass I know and uses resin in it. Takes a special gun to spray it on if I remember right..

SterlingSilva

-----------------
If the scratches arent too serious i wouldnt worry about em.

I used appliance epoxy paint from home depot for the bottom of mine (basically what ur washer/dryer is painted with). Also used it to paint my engine compartment. Its epoxy paint so its thick and sticks nice. Just scuff up the surface real good with 80 grit and spray it on. Be careful where you spray the stuff cus it will leave a dusting on anything thats not covered.

If u really want to fill the scratches use some epoxy figerglass resin then sand it smooth.

Check out my build if you want to see how mine turned out

That was my plan! I was just going to use some of the appliance paint and paint the bottom only a difference color...black. I guess I'll just scuff it up, and spray it. Do you know if there should be a clear over it? I don't want to be riding and see a trail of paint behind me! lol

i would give it a real good sanding , no primers or anything then just give it two coats of good paint. primers are not made for water and if you scratch it you see primer and not the same color gel thats under it.

Another dumb question. What would you start sanding with it?

Would you sand with emery cloth? Would I start coarse and then go fine? Then just clean it and spray it?

Thanks!

no dumb questions.....we all learn somehow. "redsxr800" has a good point. if it does get scratched up you will see the color of the primer. if you go factory and spray it white, any autobody paint supply store would sell a good quality "high build" white primer in a can (ease of use and it will fill most scratches). i worked in a body shop for years throughout college and they always said, if you can feel the scratch, you'll be able to see it after paint. sand with 240 or 400, primer, sand again if needed, then paint. good luck!

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Get white primer, problem solved, good primer is available in colors, cheap primer is not, you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom