Super Jet contaminated fuel = $500 bill

Hey guys, here is the story:

Again the ski is 10 days old with less than 5 hours on it.
I took it once in the ocean when my friend sunk it and filled the motor with water.
The same day we cleaned the ski and motor out of salt water. I did what you guys suggested: took the ski upside down, drained all the water out, dried and cleaned spark plugs, sprayed some WD40 in the cylinders, then some "start fuel", cranked a little and the ski was up and running with no signs of problems at all. Then I sprayed some good amount of fogging oil in the carbs as per your suggestions and ran the ski with it. The next day I took the ski to the lake and spent a tank of fuel. The ski rode like a champ with no problems. The day after I went to the lake again. Rode the ski for 30 mins with no problem, then the ski started loosing power at high RPM. I guessed it could be carb problem which I did not want to mess around with so I decided to take it to the dealer. Today they called and said that the fuel was badly contaminated with some whitish/creamy stuff on the bottom of the tank, the inline filter was almost clogged and the carb filters were clogged with the same stuff which was the cause of lack of power at high RPM.

Now what I am trying to figure out is could an over use of WD40 or fogging oil could go back to the tank and make the fuel bad or it is just bad gas I have put in some of the gas stations? Since I had the ski I've always used premium gas and the OEM yamaha 2 stroke oil.

The dealer killed me with $500 bill for taking the carb apart, clean it, clean fuel lines and tank.. Nothing I can do at this point but to make sure it does not happen again :(.

Thanks,

D

mightymighty2stroke

I'd rather be on the lake
That sucks. How did your friend sink it, hood pop off? Whitish/creamy goo sounds to me like the water mixing with the oil during the sinking of the ship. Did you not empty/clean the fuel tank after it sank? Maybe after running a full tank through it, it finally got low enough to suck up the garbage at the bottom of the tank and clog everything up.

That sucks. How did your friend sink it, hood pop off? Whitish/creamy goo sounds to me like the water mixing with the oil during the sinking of the ship. Did you not empty/clean the fuel tank after it sank? Maybe after running a full tank through it, it finally got low enough to suck up the garbage at the bottom of the tank and clog everything up.

The dealer said it did not look like water at all... He insisted that it was bad gas. It was my fault I let my friend ride it in the ocean as he was not able to even get on the ski and kept pushing it under with the waves (he is 230 pounds). I though I got away for free from this accident, but not really :(.. if that was the reason at all..

I am going to the dealer to pick it up in a couple of hours, they will show me all the bad stuff there.

$500....they should be arrested for rape.

I could have taken the carb apart myself If I knew they would charge me that much, but since the ski is under warranty, I did not wanted to mess with it myself yet..

All and all lesson learned :).. As soon as I pick it up I am back in the water with BIG smile on my face :)..

rasper99

Freighter wake hunter
How much time was it sunk? If it's sunk for more than a few minutes the air vents will let enough water into the tank to be an issue. I've seen a ski that was missing for about 1.5 hours that had over a gallon of water in the gas tank. It doesn't take much to mess things up.

How much time was it sunk? If it's sunk for more than a few minutes the air vents will let enough water into the tank to be an issue. I've seen a ski that was missing for about 1.5 hours that had over a gallon of water in the gas tank. It doesn't take much to mess things up.

If I only knew that besides everything I did, I had to dump the left fuel as well :).. I guess I deserve the penalty

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
your friend owes you 500 bucks haha.

Definitely water in the tank.

Your lesson in this one is don't sink it. And if you do, at least now you know how to get one "un-sunk". The last and final step was to drain the tank and start with fresh fuel after you get it up and running again.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
If it makes you feel any better, my buddy just went thru this same scenario and the bill was much higher. It cost him a set of reeds, a crank, 1 piston and a new sleeve.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I could have taken the carb apart myself If I knew they would charge me that much, but since the ski is under warranty, I did not wanted to mess with it myself yet..

All and all lesson learned :).. As soon as I pick it up I am back in the water with BIG smile on my face :)..

your getting hosed by your dealer.

AZRIDER

stupid desert
yah what dealer was it that screwed you like this so we can all go fire brimstone on thier asses. the whole thing sounds ridicules
I weas told 2011 sj's dont have warranties, but they do? when you get your dealer survey in the mail from yamaha go to town on those fools.
no more yamaha status for them

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Mcdog can give u the right kind of tissues for these tears. Anybody that's owned skis and has newb friends can attest to these frustrations. I had a bud sink my seadoo gsx on smooth flatwater! Took a whole year to get the ski right...plus 700 bones from dealer after I mis-installed the stator assembly and couldn't diagnose the problem. I about killed myself after that.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
The 2011 skis come with "warranties"... it does depend on what they will actually warranty.

That dealer is not doing much in the "customer service" department. It is easy to see it is not a warranty issue, but a new customer buying a new ski *should* get a little more love than that. I am not saying free service, but full pop is ridiculous.

Top Bottom