Custom/Hybrid conversion ski need input

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
welcome to the X, Mr. impossible conversion
sounds like it would take some fab work to do.
No help here, but good luck!

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
Hey Corky! LMAO! I saw your thread over at pwct, I honestly would like to see how this turns out, so i'll cut you some slack, lol.

I read your other thread and have a little bit of respectful advice. I understand your "work with what I have" approach, but I dont think you realize how much a conversion like this will cost you. More than a good used superjet would be my guess.

That being said, you will need to fab up an exhaust, find a way to put a 140mm pump setup in a 440 hull, find the right driveline parts to work - have custom couplers machined ($$), and on top of all of this - find a way to securely mount the 717 in the kawi hull so that it is aligned perfectly AND positioned in such a way that the center of gravity of the hull is maintained. Think your up to that?

Say your successful, your left with a moderately powerful motor in the worst hull available.

Last edited:

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
It definetely will be a huge headache from start to finish. Get ready to dump some serious cash into this thing.

haha ya good luck finding a superjet within a 6 hour driving distance from where im at, i tried an couldn't find anything worth getting. found one sn 701 1993 for $2,500 and it was stock. so i decided to do this. now my main drive to get this done is to earn myself some respect. im tired of everyone saying i cant do it so im gonna get it done or give it one hell of a shot

I like the attitude and good luck with the build

Totally agree dude. It's totally possible, and I'm confident you can do it. Will be bad ass once your done too! It seems if you can glass at all, you can do this. I honestly don't see any problem or lots of money issues in doing this from the list people said of mods.

Good luck dude!:Banane25:

If you wanted a SJ but can't find any local and they are highly priced, why not buy one from somewhere else that has cheaper prices and get it shipped? You'd save money that way, especially over modding a 440. Goodluck tho, it'd be an interesting project, just don't expect to get even half back of what you put into it.

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
I have a few square hulls , and I know of at least 3 Round nose in hutchinson area , that is not too far from you ... i would at least try to put that motor in a superjet,,

Droste14

Be About It!
I have a few square hulls , and I know of at least 3 Round nose in hutchinson area , that is not toofar from you ... i would at least try to put that motor in a superjet,,

You shoould pass him on to that round nose that tom tried to sell me. It seemed decently priced

ok i think you guys have talked me out of putting the 718 into the 440 hull. you guys are actually giving me advice that is worth reading. guess i wasnt looking in the right areas because when i had the money to buy an sj i couldnt find anything. what would you take for one of your square hulls chad? are they completely gutted? they have pumps or what. i guess what im asking is what is still there, the term gutted varies between different people. i would absolutely love to put the motor in an sj hull.

thank you for all the usefull comments

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
Even putting that motor in a SJ hull would be a damn shame. I know you were given this motor, but like the old saying goes "nothings free" After all that work and aggravation you will have a mediocrely powered SN that will come with all the headaches of a highly modified ski. I'd say you're on the right track getting away from that 440 puberty toy hull. You can pick up a decent 61x motor for a few hundred, the last one I bought was $350 shipped. Save yourself the trouble and just go Yami all the way. The problem is you havent ridden a high powedred yamaha to know what we are talking about.

ya i haven't had the chance to ride any yami standup. the only standups i have rode were my 550, my 440, and a 750 x2(that was awesome) but was that a complete engine? if i buy a bare hull from chad and then buy a bare engine and buy all the electronics seperately that would be quite a bit of $ wouldn't it? i know im kind of just jumping into this but all i know is that 440 is an underpowered pos thats absolutely no fun to ride. i have no idea how much the 440/717 swap would cost or the sj/717 would cost. frankly i didnt wanna think about it just do it and then have a decently powered ski to ride, and be reliable. hell i liked my 550 but it was very unreliable

stanton

High on jetskis.
hate to say it but if you want this to be easy, cheap, and reliable that old 2500$ square is going to look like a dream boat when your done!

Top Bottom