Coupler Gap

W8kski

-------------------------
Last summer I broke a motor mount or two in one trip. I ordered all new motor mounts and replaced them. Right now since they have been replaced I have a little over a 1/4 inch gap between the two couplers. I'm guessing that when the mounts originally broke that the force either shoved the couple further on the shaft on one end leaving me the gap I have? Is this possible? Is there a way for me to close this gap without having to pull the motor?

can u loosen mounts and slide motor back any ? should be 2-4 mm's apart....couplers did not move they are threaded on....shaft could have been pushed in the housing some.....not likely

Last edited:

W8kski

I'll try and loosen the mounts and see if I can get any play there. The guy at Yamaha told me it was probably shoved in some. Shoved in towards the pump direction I am guessing?

W8kski

If that were the case would it not affect the impeller in the pump if the shaft were pushed back, or does it not work that way?

Waternut

Customizing addict
If the couplers were rubbing, you'd just wear them out pretty quick but I don't think they can if the damper is in good shape. If the gap is too large you're not getting the full strength out of the couplers and risk breaking them. That being said though, the midshaft is fixed and the engine has limited movement so finding a happy medium should be pretty simple. I think I just slid the engine as far back as it would go and bolted it down.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
The midshaft should stick out the back of the bearing housing ~20mm to be in spec. Set that, and go with it. 1/4" is not bad really, you want some gap so when the engine slams back on a hard tail landing the couplers don't hit. That's how the midshaft gets pushed back in the housing on hard landings anyway.

Top Bottom