Custom/Hybrid Custom hull owners, how did registration/titling work?

gemiller

h2o addiction
This is more of an FYI for me, I'm debating on starting a longer term project ski, and really want to go with a badass hull over an sj or sxr, but I have bad enough luck with water cops, so I'm just curious what you guys are doing for that topic.

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
X2. They do their inspection and give you some numbers right on thd spot, permitting you to ride a couple weeks while they do the paperwork. Then you register it with the numbers they gave you like a normal superjet. Quite easy.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
If you do your own project, keep your receipts. That's the most important part. And if you buy parts online, keep documentation of where they all came from just in case they ask. Every state is different so like Matt says, give them a call and find out ahead what they will require.

Pa wants to see every piece of paper for everything down to the last nut and bolt to milk the tax out of you. Anything bought out of state and don't pay tax on they will make you pay pa sales tax on. I have a friend that works at fish and boat that rides also hes been able to make things go much smoother for me. The first time it took me 3 trips with different receipts to get them to accept the application to get it titled. Let me know if I can help. Take plenty of pics also the want to see them as well. I've had officers stop by my shop to check things out in the past to make sure things are legit

Pa wants to see every piece of paper for everything down to the last nut and bolt to milk the tax out of you. Anything bought out of state and don't pay tax on they will make you pay pa sales tax on. I have a friend that works at fish and boat that rides also hes been able to make things go much smoother for me. The first time it took me 3 trips with different receipts to get them to accept the application to get it titled. Let me know if I can help. Take plenty of pics also the want to see them as well. I've had officers stop by my shop to check things out in the past to make sure things are legit

Not true. I did a pa home built title with invoices for carbon and resin. Paid the tax on let's say 600.00 in materials. I told them I had another jet ski all the parts and engine came from. I had to surrender the title from my 93 750sx I parted a long time ago and cut up the hull. So I only provided one invoice and an old title. It was really easy for me and that was a PA home built title. Within the last 3 months..

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
^^ it's been my experience that you get a lot of variability just from one DMV to another. There are set state laws but how well those are followed by the local DMV you are dealing with depends a lot on the people working there.

Not true. I did a pa home built title with invoices for carbon and resin. Paid the tax on let's say 600.00 in materials. I told them I had another jet ski all the parts and engine came from. I had to surrender the title from my 93 750sx I parted a long time ago and cut up the hull. So I only provided one invoice and an old title. It was really easy for me and that was a PA home built title. Within the last 3 months..
You are correct on that. I was goIng by the assumption that he was not planning to surrender a title for one ski to register another.

Look on Cragslist for an emtpy beater hull with title, toss the hull ...keep the title. Take the vin numbers off or make your own.

OCD Solutions

How about we leave all the illegal suggestions for backup plan B and focus on trying to do it the right way first. :bigok:

How about we leave all the illegal suggestions for backup plan B and focus on trying to do it the right way first. :bigok:

But the right way to do all this is to never let your pump leave the water, no small craft advisory, and stay hundreds of feet away from other boats. This whole sport is impossibly illegal.

OCD Solutions

I agree for the most part but the more ducks you have in a row, the less they have to nail you with when they do stop you for something stupid.

I jumped thru all the hoops to get my first Matrix registered properly and my new one is weeks away from being approved as well. It's not near as difficult as people make it out to be and it's definitely a better way to have it on the books. The previous owner of my current hull took the short road and then stiffed me for the bastardized title so I am now stuck trying to do it the right way rather than repeat the debacle. On the flip side, Since I registered my old Matrix properly, the new owner had absolutely no issues transferring the title and getting it registered in another state and he was very thankful for that.

Draggingto

No Clue
Man some of you guys have it rough. I just did mine in michigan a couple of weeks ago. All i had to have was a bill of sale and they pulled out a form and i filled it out. The title and the registration say WDK Rok on them. no inspections or anything. Gave me my new hull# and registration right on the spot it couldnt have been any easier.

Draggingto

No Clue
Yeah i read thru all of yours, Thats why i was worried about doing mine the correct way. All my buddies with AM hulls have just done what most people do LOL, i was the first to do it this way. I was relieved that it ended up being as easy as it was.

OCD Solutions

It's like MattE said above, it depends on each individual agent at each office. As far as I know I'm the only one to have to jump the hoop I did and it was because one agent had it in her head that it was one way. I went out of my way to do her job for her this time and make it obvious so hopefully she just drops a stamp on the new one and gets it done.

As it was, I had to fudge some papers since the guy who I bought my hull off didn't provide me with any documentation whatsoever with my hull. Partly my fault because I drove 18 hrs thru the night and was exhausted when I arrived at his house and forgot to get a bill of sale and grab the title. He said he would send it but it's been over two months now and I'm tired of chasing him for a bastardized title I really didn't want anyways.

Top Bottom